I am a geezer. My PC cannot load Super Fetch at boot time. What did I delete in my tidy, tidy, tidy? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Gang,

OK, I have been sick for sixteen years, about as long as the Target hacker has been alive. I will be 67 in a few weeks. My PC tells me it cannot load SuperFetch at boot time. What did I clobber? I saved the message as offered.

Thanks,

Al Marcy

Monday, January 20, 2014 10:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please post the complete event log here? Was this error message  related with superfetch service? The error message here seems to be mostly associated with .Net framework.

Few more questions here, what actions had been taken before the error occurred? Have you checked if any viruses attacked? In addition, please take a try with system file checker.(More infor for SFC).

Regarding SuperFetch, it caches data to RAM so that it can be immediately available to your application. Sometimes this can affect the performance of certain applications. It tends to not work well with gaming, but can improve performance with business apps. And this service is dependent on the following system components:

• File Information FS MiniFilter
    • FltMgr
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • DCOM Server Process Launcher
    • RPC Endpoint Mapper

More information, please check superfetch in:

Threats and Countermeasures Guide: System Services

To see if superfetch is disabled or not, please check the steps below:

1. Click the Start orb and type Regedit in the Start Search area.

2. Open the Registry Editor.

3. Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
        then SYSTEM
        then CurrentControlSet
        then Control
        then Session Manager
        then MemoryManagement
        then click PrefetchParameters

4. On the right side, double-click on EnableSuperfetch

5. Check the value of it, it is set to 3 by default on win7:

Values:

0 to disable Superfetch
    1 to enable prefetching when program is launched
    2 to enable boot prefetching
    3 to enable prefectching of everything

Hit OK then Close RegEdit. "

Then goto the services MSC ("windows key + r" or just "windows key" and type services.msc). Scroll down to Superfetch and now should start. Double click it and change to automatic, then attempt to start again.

If we fail to start this service, I suggest we export following keys from the computer on Which Windows 7 works fine, and then import to your computer to repair this service. On the good win7 PC:

Navigate to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SysMain

Right click on the SysMain, choose export, and then move the export file on the problematic PC, double click the file.

Hope this helps,

Best regards

Michael

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Michael_LS Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:11 AM grammar
    • Marked as answer by Al Marcy - Geezer Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:09 AM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:57 AM

All replies

• Dear Marcy,

Could you please tell more details about the issue here? What is the version of the OS, when will this error occur? Are there any special messages logged in Event Viewer?

Please have a share with the error messages you mentioned, and this should be much helpful for further troubleshooting.

Thank you for the understanding.

Best regards

Michael

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:07 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Below is the first MSG, on boot, from this morning:

Subsequently, Widows Security Center cannot be started.

And some old updates are found by Windows update, and get downloaded but do not load.

Pretty hairy bug :)

HELP!

Thank you,

Al

Windows 7.1 Home

SAF-T-LOG v1.31.3.0

Exception type:System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
    Exception message:The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070422)
    Exception stacktrace:   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Start()
       at Saf_T_Log.Synchronisation.RevisedSyncProgress.InitEventListener()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
    Excption source:mscorlib

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:44 PM
  • Is this the wrong forum?

D'oh!

Al

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:47 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please post the complete event log here? Was this error message  related with superfetch service? The error message here seems to be mostly associated with .Net framework.

Few more questions here, what actions had been taken before the error occurred? Have you checked if any viruses attacked? In addition, please take a try with system file checker.(More infor for SFC).

Regarding SuperFetch, it caches data to RAM so that it can be immediately available to your application. Sometimes this can affect the performance of certain applications. It tends to not work well with gaming, but can improve performance with business apps. And this service is dependent on the following system components:

• File Information FS MiniFilter
    • FltMgr
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • DCOM Server Process Launcher
    • RPC Endpoint Mapper

More information, please check superfetch in:

Threats and Countermeasures Guide: System Services

To see if superfetch is disabled or not, please check the steps below:

1. Click the Start orb and type Regedit in the Start Search area.

2. Open the Registry Editor.

3. Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
        then SYSTEM
        then CurrentControlSet
        then Control
        then Session Manager
        then MemoryManagement
        then click PrefetchParameters

4. On the right side, double-click on EnableSuperfetch

5. Check the value of it, it is set to 3 by default on win7:

Values:

0 to disable Superfetch
    1 to enable prefetching when program is launched
    2 to enable boot prefetching
    3 to enable prefectching of everything

Hit OK then Close RegEdit. "

Then goto the services MSC ("windows key + r" or just "windows key" and type services.msc). Scroll down to Superfetch and now should start. Double click it and change to automatic, then attempt to start again.

If we fail to start this service, I suggest we export following keys from the computer on Which Windows 7 works fine, and then import to your computer to repair this service. On the good win7 PC:

Navigate to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SysMain

Right click on the SysMain, choose export, and then move the export file on the problematic PC, double click the file.

Hope this helps,

Best regards

Michael

• Edited by Michael_LS Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:11 AM grammar
    • Marked as answer by Al Marcy - Geezer Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:09 AM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:57 AM
  • How do I post the Event Log? Sorry, I am not fluent in the local patois. (The Future is Foreign to Geezers.)
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:53 PM
  • I still have System Security Center can not be started.
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding how to post event log, please follow the steps below:

1. Right click computer->choose manage->click event viewer;
    2. Find the event that you want to save and right click on it, choose Save Events As;
    3. On the save as window, select the proper locationand save the log file astxt;
    4. Open the saved log and then copy and paste the whole messages,

Here is a reference: Archive an Event Log

For the system security center cannot started, here are two KB articles for you to refer:

"The Security Center service can't be started" error message in Windows 7 or in Windows Vista

Error message: “Security Center service can't be started”

Let us know if any further help is needed.

Best regards

Michael

Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:41 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Sorry, it is late. I will send the event log tomorrow.

Thank you.

Al

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:11 AM
  • Hi Marcy,

Any update here?

Best regards

Michael

Friday, January 24, 2014 1:10 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Sorry, my wife had diagnostic scans today. I have done nothing useful with this PC.

Her scans found nothing unusual :)

I shall post - when I get something...

I just got my first smart cell phone... ever. Windows 8x by HTC. We have come a way from the ASR33 Teletype I started with, long ago and far, far, far away :) 110.5 Baud was hot, in those days... 5 CPS!

Cool, I think, but, it is only a new toy... that does not yet have the sorts of problems I will no doubt teach it ;)

Happy new toys!

Al

Friday, January 24, 2014 1:29 AM
  • Hi Marcy,

Glad to hear from you and best wishes to your family.

Enjoy your time, if any further help needed, please feel free to contact us, follow up or open a new thread.

Best regards

Michael

Friday, January 24, 2014 1:37 AM