Win 7 side task bar width RRS feed

• Question

• I always keep my task bar on the side of the screen rather than at the bottom. However XP has always had an issue with this, and astonishingly Windows 7 has precisely the same problem!.
    This is Dell Win 7 Home Premium on my SXPS laptop but I have seen it on other machines I've tried too.
    The taskbar, running in autohide mode, does not stay at the width that I have set. After reboots/ logins etc it often comes back reduced from the width that I have set it too. This is of course an annoyance, particularly when, as not infrequently happens, it comes back with its width almost reduced to zero. My temporary fix for this is just to not lock the task bar and tweak it back to the correct width.  Within the particular session, it will then stay at that width, but after logout, or even suspend, it often comes back a variable amount narrower than it was.
    I can't see any posts referring to a fix for this. Is there one please?
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm whether it is a clean install or upgrade install of Windows 7? Did the issue occurs even since you first install Windows 7, or just appears recently?

Generally speaking, it is easy to customize the width of taskbar and keep the setting. I’ve the same settings in my working machine, and the taskbar will not reset or reduced. In this situation, I think the issue was caused by your display card or corrupted profiles.

Dell Studio XPS laptop has so wide vareity of retail choices. You can go to the Dell’s official website to check the driver updates or perform the Automatically Upgrade of drivers.

If the issue persists after upgrading, create a new admin level account and login in as a test.

Pls let me know if you still have the same issue in the new account?

If the new account goes with the same problem, you may try to clean boot under your own account.  

How to clean boot:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If not, you can attempt to clean up the icons pinned to the Taskbar as a test.

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:57 AM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 1:24 PM