Categories in outgoing e-mail RRS feed

• Question

• I updated to Outlook 365 and now when I categorize incoming e-mail, if I respond or forward, the category does not get added automatically to the outgoing e-mail. In a previous versión I managed to solve the problema by changing the registry (see https://www.msoutlook.info/question/41). But this solution does not seem to work with Outlook 365. Any ideas?
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 6:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

What's the specific version number of Microsoft Outlook do you use? I tried the SendPersonalCategories in my Outlook Version 1809 (Build 10827.20181) and it worked as expected here. May I know the specific steps you followed when testing this?

Besides, there is a workaround that we can enable Conversation view for your mailbox. Then, right-click the top-level of the conversation, assign a category. In this way, all existing emails and future emails belong to this conversation will have this category.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, November 5, 2018 9:30 AM
    Friday, November 2, 2018 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,
    Steve Fan 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, November 5, 2018 9:30 AM
  • Thanks, Steve. But which Outlook version is 365? Maybe I am inserting the registry key in the wrong place. Options are:

• Outlook 2007
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences
    • Outlook 2010
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Preferences
    • Outlook 2013
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Preferences
    • Outlook 2016
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences

Which one worked for you? (I'm in a different computer at the moment, but I believe my version is the same as yours).

• Edited by Bob 62 Wednesday, November 7, 2018 2:14 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 2:11 AM
  • Hi Bob,

Where did you create the SendPersonalCategories registry key? It should be the \16.0 path for Office 365. 

After adding the registry key, try running the following command in a command prompt:

gpupdate /force

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 2:18 AM
  • Unfortunately it didn't work. I had created the registry key in the 16:0 path, and I just run the gpupdate/force command, to no avail.

By the way, my Outlook is version 1810. Any ideas?

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:07 PM
  • Thank you for the update. I'd like to double confirm that whether you created the correct key type when modifying the registry key. Make sure the Value Type is "DWORD" and the key value is set to 1.

Besides, how about the workaround I mentioned before? Does it work?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Friday, November 9, 2018 10:20 AM
  • Thanks, Steve. I confirmed, DWORD and value 1. By the way, I see another option "Hexadecimal" or "Decimal". Hexadecimal is checked. Does this matter?

With respect to the workaround I have not tried it because I do not use conversation view, but will try.

Friday, November 9, 2018 4:44 PM
  • Tried the workaround but it does not work for me. The e-mails can be given categories but the folder cannot be grouped by categories, so it is useless.
    Friday, November 9, 2018 11:30 PM