Project Start and Finish dates in PWA Project Center RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I need to understand the logic between Start-Finish dates for projects in Project Center views. It seems that some dates are different than the ones returned in the fields "ProjectStart" and "ProjectFinish" in the reporting DB. More specifically, in our installation, the values displayed in Project Center views are consistent with the "ProjectEarlyStart" and "ProjectLateFinish" values.

Can anybody confirm this, and if possible, explain the logic between this implementation?

thanks in advance

Spyros

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:35 PM

All replies

• Spyros, what do you want to display? Generally it is the Start and Finish column that is displayed in the Project Center.

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Hi Marc,

We want to build a report that includes the very same Start-Finish dates as the ones returned in the Project Center views.

So, is my assumption correct? Are these dates equivalent to reporting DB's "ProjectEarlyStart" and "ProjectEarlyFinish"? And if yes, is this logic consistent, or changes per project?

Thanks

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Hi Spyros. The Reporting Database 'should' contain the exact same information as the Project Centre. Use the 'MSP_EpmProject_UserView' view. The fields you are after are ProjectStartDate and ProjectFinishDate. These are the forecast start and end dates of the project.

If the data does not match the project centre then I believe you may have an issue with the synchronisation of data between the publish database and the reporting databse. Check the Project Server queue for signs of job failures for the 'Reporting Synch' type jobs. These are generally seen in the queue when someone has edited the project site template and tampered with one of the out of the box lists/libraries which are dependent on this synchronisation process with Project Server.

Let us know how you go.

Regards,

Piet Remen
    http://pietremen.blogspot.com.au

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Hi Piet,

I am using this view (which takes the ProjectStartDate and projectFinishDate from the msp_epmProject table). However, I don't think this is a case for mis-synchronization, because the same values reside in the Published database (PROJ_INFO_STARTDATE and PROJ_INFO_FINISH fields).  I imagine that the PWA views are taked from the Published database, however the Start date and Finish date in project center views are NOT in accordance with the PROJ_INFO_START_DATE and PROJ_INFO_FINISH_DATE.

This must be a default behaviour of PWA views, but it is not mentioned anywhere

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Hi Spy,

Check the earliest start /latest finish date of tasks and assignments,  and compare those to the dates  you have in both the DBs and the project center. I recall having this issue once but can't remember how we fixed it - maybe by forcing a publish of the project (Open, change something, publish).

Hope it helps.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:34 AM