Task Manager - Will Not Load at Login? RRS feed

• Question

• In all previous versions of Windows, I have added a shortcut to Task Manager to the "All Users" start up folder so Task Manager loads at login.   This does not seem to work in Win 8 Enterprise.   

Source:   c:\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe  - create a shortcut to this file in the following folder:

Destination: c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

There are shortcuts to other programs in this folder that do start up at login.   The shortcut to Task Manager is in this folder.  If I click the Task Manager shortcut in this folder, it does open up.   So what's up with Task Manager loading at login?   BTW, I am a member of the Local Administrators group when I login.

Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:05 PM

Answers

• To set an application to start automatically on Windows 8 you need to create a scheduled task with the "task scheduler" that you can find inside the control panel.
    • Proposed as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:27 AM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 7:44 PM

All replies

• To set an application to start automatically on Windows 8 you need to create a scheduled task with the "task scheduler" that you can find inside the control panel.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:27 AM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 7:44 PM

correct, but you have to select the checkbox "Run with highest privileges".

This is needed because the new Taskmanager needs admin rights to run because it uses ETW to detect network and disk IO.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:12 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the replies, but as mentioned, other programs have shortcuts in the startup folder and run just fine - at start up.   I guess it is just Task Manager that no longer does.   In addition, starting as a scheduled task does not allow it to be started minimized to the system tray.   I also read the other thread mentioned above, and it seems others are scratching their head over this bone head change by MS.     Reminds me of when they took away the ability to copy profiles.   
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:50 PM
  • You're right. Even if it can be run at startup, it doesn't minimize itself to the tray like the old one did. I pointed this out as one of the NUMEROUS flaws in Task Manager since Windows 8 Developer Preview BUT DOES ANYONE AT MICROSOFT CARE? EVERYTHING IS LOCKED DOWN AT DEVELOPER PREVIEW STAGE. THIS OS IS A TOTAL USER EXPERIENCE FAILURE. JUST AVOID IT TILL THEY START HIRING GOOD UX EXPERTS.
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:39 AM
  • I have followed instructions on running a task on startup.  It succeeded...sort of.  I am trying to load Thunderbird on start up.  So I created a task in the task scheduler, set privileges to high, etc.  All looked good.  In fact, if I now look at it in task scheduler (after restart), the Last Run Result is  "The Task is currently running" and the status is  Running.  Well, its been in this state for quite a while, but no Thunderbird.

Using  Windows 8, the basic, not pro.

Name: Thunderbird
    location: \                                        cant change this
    Author:xxxxx.yyyyy
    Description:
    Run whether user is logged in or not
    run with highest privileges
    Configure for Windows 8

Trigger: At system startup enabled
    Action:Start program in    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"
    Arguments
    Start in : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\"
    Conditions
    allow task to be run on demand
    stop task if it runs longer than 3 days
    if the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop

So... what next?

Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:41 PM
  • So... what next?

Try using ProcExp as an alternative?
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:51 PM
  • I created a task named Thunderbird.  Sort of makes sense doesn't it?   Well, windows 8 doesn't like that.   I deleted it, created a new one titled ThunderbirdStartup.  Worked first time.

** Well an update.  It worked the first time.  No More.  It is now being terminated after an hour because it has not been successful.  Someone  needs to take a look at these processes.   Starting a program on startup should be a simple task.

• Edited by ScCrow2 Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:26 PM New Additional Info
    Monday, January 21, 2013 8:26 PM