Send e-mail notification if "Assigned to" field is empty RRS feed

• Question

• SCSM 2012 SP1.

I need to send e-mail notification to a distribution list if somebody creates an incident with empty "Assigned to" field. It could happen when an user sends new service request using self-service portal, incoming e-mail is processed, or a support team member forget or cannot fill that field.

E-mail subscriptions do not work. I can create a rule with "User name is empty" condition, but it is never triggered.

I can use template with "Primary owner" and "Source" fields filled in advance to create SSP incidents. After that I can create workflow which sends notification to that person when an incident is created with "Portal" specified as source. It works, but I can send notification to a single person only, not to a distribution list. What if that person is absent?.. In addition, I cannot use a workflow if "Assigned to" field is not filled during manual creation of the incident.

Is it possible to send such notifications at all?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Maybe this Powershell script is helpful:

SCSM: Mail Notification - Unassigned Incidents v0.4 *Updated*

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Andreas,

Thank you for the link. I'll study it.

However, does it meat that the task cannot be done without external scripts? The scenario seems to be so simple and obvious...

Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:20 AM
  • In all our testing here, we ran into the exact same problem.  Whenever we would create a subscription to;  assigned to technician is empty, it would never trigger the message.  I was told it is due to something with how the table/data is stored.  We ended up crafting e-mails to the support team when a ticket is created, and it includes the assigned to name if its present.  Then we also have an e-mail sent out when a ticket is assigned or re-assigned to someone.
    Friday, April 26, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Steve,

Yes, this could be a solution, but not the best one. Mostly users create incidents by calling technical support by phone. It's supposed that technician who answers the call must fill all the fields properly, so mostly all messages concerning creation of a new incident need to be ignored. In turn, it means that support team attention to those messages will be relaxed, and probability of overlooking of unassigned incident become high.

Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:37 AM
  • Bakubal,

It works like a charm. :) Not the simplest way, but it does work and does not require to use external scheduler to run scripts.

Thank you.

Monday, May 6, 2013 9:38 AM
  • I'm amazed that this still has not been fixed yet as it's a bit of a limitation that for such a basic request management pack editing is required. We created notifications based upon the notify once criteria with the assigned to user DN is empty or not empty (we wanted different notifications based upon whether or not an analyst has been assigned so we can include who the analyst is in the email).

Are there any plans to resolve this?

Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:33 PM