none
How to remove the [%] from the resource name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a SharePoint task list which I open with MS project to allocate resources linked to my Project Online site.

When I assign resources Project shows me the [%] next to some of the resources name  e.g. Russell; Matt[70%]

This is a problem as when I try to save the project to the server I get an error saying it does not recognise the resource name due to the [%] (I know it is this as this as those resources not showing % have no error). 

I can assign the resource in sharepoint task list view, however when I next open in project to update it I get the [%] and then I cannot save it.

Does anyone know how I can turn off the [%] after the resource name?

Thanks for your help

Matt

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thanks for sending this over, however this only takes the % off of the gantt chart bars, I need it removing from the resource name column.

I do not believe the trick of swapping initials for full names will work as I need the connectivity between the name, MS project resources and Outlook

I have a workaround that I add all task details to the project plan then reopen as a SharePoint list and add the resource names that way, this can be quite clunky however

Thanks for your help

Matt

• Marked as answer by Matt22365 Friday, May 4, 2018 11:06 AM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:19 AM

All replies

• Matt,

It may be as simple as displaying resource assignments as decimal instead of percent. To do that go to File > Options > Schedule tab. Change the selection to "show assignment units as a:" to decimal.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:50 PM
  • Hi John

Thanks for getting back to me

Unfortunately this did not work. This now shows my resource as (e.g.) Russell; Matt[0.7]. As this still has the [ ] after the name SharePoint does not recognise it as a name.

I need the [ ] completely removing from the name for sharepoint to recognise it.

Thanks anyway

Matt

Thursday, March 15, 2018 1:29 PM
  • Matt,

Okay here's another thought. Create a custom field that strips off the brackets from the Resource Names field and import back to SharePoint.

John

Thursday, March 15, 2018 2:05 PM
  • In addition to John's excellent advice, you could use this trick:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/project/2010/04/13/tips-and-tricks-clean-up-the-gantt-bars/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, March 15, 2018 2:24 PM
  • Guillaume --

That is a GREAT trick.  Thanks for sharing!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, March 15, 2018 2:55 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for sending this over, however this only takes the % off of the gantt chart bars, I need it removing from the resource name column.

I do not believe the trick of swapping initials for full names will work as I need the connectivity between the name, MS project resources and Outlook

I have a workaround that I add all task details to the project plan then reopen as a SharePoint list and add the resource names that way, this can be quite clunky however

Thanks for your help

Matt

• Marked as answer by Matt22365 Friday, May 4, 2018 11:06 AM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:19 AM