none
Get a list of Targets from WBADMIN RRS feed

• Question

• I know how to add a backup destination using wbadmin.  But how do we do the inverse to remove redundant targets.

If I issue the command

WBADMIN ENABLE BACKUP -removetarget

i need the disk id to be able to remove target drives registered with Windows Server Backup (WSB).

How do I get the Disk ID for drives that say have failed and been disposed of that WSB has registered with it

WBADMIN GET DISKS

only tells us the drives that are physically connected to the server at the time.

Why: I have a client site that is quite harsh on their external drives used for backup.  It has a large number of drives registered as destinations and I'd lke to cull them.  Becuase it is easy to use one of the disk editing tools to write the disk id and hence impersonate a backup drive, I'd like to remove any that are no longer alive.

I have done a search of the registry for a know DISK ID but none returned assuming they are either stored encrypted or stored elsewhere.

• Edited by MBKITMGR Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:13 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:11 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>i need the disk id to be able to remove target drives registered with Windows Server Backup (WSB).

As far as I know, WSB will not register target drive ID. Meanwhile, I did not find anything about WSB registering disk ID in Microsoft official documents.

>>I have done a search of the registry for a know DISK ID but none returned assuming they are either stored encrypted or stored elsewhere.

If external drive is connected and is mounted in Windows it is recorded in the Windows registry.

If you did not find the disk ID in registry, it should be removed successfully.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:01 AM
  • Hi Candy,

Windows Server backup does register drives used for backup by their Disk ID

When you have a schedulded backup it expects drives "it knows about" and when you need to add drives, you run the command WBADMIN GET DISKS which gets the response below

wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

Disk name: SEAGATE ST1000NM0023 SCSI Disk Device Disk number: 0 Disk identifier: {5b1fac8b-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    Total space: 931.51 GB
    Used space : 189.87 GB
    Volumes: <not mounted>[RECOVERY],C:[OS]

Disk name: SEAGATE ST1000NM0023 SCSI Disk Device Disk number: 1 Disk identifier: {cb2f1c73-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    Total space: 931.51 GB
    Used space : 223.95 GB
    Volumes: D:[DATAPART1]

Disk name: WD Elements SE 2623 USB Device Disk number: 2 Disk identifier: {68db4cfd-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    Total space: 1862.98 GB
    Used space : 1862.96 GB
    Volumes: <not mounted>[CGISERV 2019_07_16 11:52 Disk_17]

Using the example disk number 2 above,you obtain the disk ID, then use
    WBADMIN Enable Backup -Addtarget:{68db4cfd-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

That then registers the external drive as a valid destination.  If you try using an unregistered drive you receive the Event ID 144

Explained here : MSFT Docs https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/wbadmin-enable-backup

• Edited by MBKITMGR Thursday, July 18, 2019 12:47 AM
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 12:44 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your clarifying.

>>WBADMIN Enable Backup -Addtarget:{68db4cfd-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

I would think you might misunderstand the function of this parameter.

Based on my understanding, AddTarget is a parameter that allows you to specify the location where backups should be written to. It specifies the storage location for backups instead of registering disk ID.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:39 AM
  • Okay then to use your terminology.

We use WBADMIN ENable Backup -addtarget to specify a location a backup should be written to.

Windoqws Server Backup stores this somewhere of the drives specified by this command.

WBADMIN Enable Backup -Addtarget:{68db4cfd-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Windows stores this somewhere, either in the registry or in a config file used by Windows Serevr Backup.

That being said, what is the purpose of WBADMIN Enable Backup -Removetarget:{diskid}

• Edited by MBKITMGR Sunday, July 21, 2019 11:55 PM
    Sunday, July 21, 2019 11:54 PM
  • Hi Candy, do we have an update on removing the backup locations specified from the -Addtarget command to be used with -Removetarget so that old destinations can be removed.  Its a low spec security issue I jknow but it would be good remove redundant destinations
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 11:32 PM
  • Hi ,

>>do we have an update on removing the backup locations specified from the -Addtarget command to be used with -Removetarget so that old destinations can be removed.

I am afraid there is no such command or a way could remove the old destination in WSB since I did not find any related information in Microsoft official document.

I have discussed with my colleagues, we all think that the external drivers will not locate anywhere if you do not find disk ID in registry. 

If you indeed want to get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this question, I would suggest you open a case with Microsoft and then more in-depth investigation can be done.

Here is the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:09 AM