partial replication possible RRS feed

• Question

• One of my customers got a exchange server 2007 running. He wants to replicate some of the priority accounts, lets say 50 out of 1000 on a cloud server. Would it be possible ? Can any one direct me to any document or article which could help me in this ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kashif.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:22 AM

Answers

• I think you need to define what you're really looking to accomplish.

Is it just redundancy (i.e. protection against a failure of one server)? If it's just for e-mail, you can use CCR (Continuous Cluster Replication.).

If you're after the same thing (redundancy) for authentication then just add another domain controller to the existing AD forest.

If, instead, you're looking to protect against a site failure (e.g. a backhoe digs up the only Internet connection to your building) then you're into another (bigger) problem because just having the accounts hosted somewhere else won't give those 50 accounts access to anything on-premises, and that's where your data are.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

• Proposed as answer by Amy.Wang Monday, August 25, 2014 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Monday, September 1, 2014 2:24 AM
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:30 PM
  • The first thing I'd recommend is moving off Exchange 2007. It will reach its end-of-life in April 2017.

You'll find information published by Microsoft about your question if you search for "exchange 2007 site redundancy". It's not a trivial undertaking.

• Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Monday, September 1, 2014 2:25 AM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 3:36 AM

All replies

• Hi

Are you moving all your accounts to the cloud?

Yes you can start migrating accounts, you will just need to update outlook profiles.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:33 PM
  • No they just want to keep the priority ones replicated to the cloud.
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:58 PM
  • "Accounts" or e-mail?

I'm not sure of Exchange 2007 will work with Office 365, but Exchange 2010 and 2013 will.

I think what you're asking about is a "hybrid" organization with directory synchronization between an on-premises Active Directory and Exchange (where you'd manage the accounts, distribution group, contacts, mailboxes, etc.) and Office 365 where the mailboxes of those 50 accounts would be located. The remaining 950 mailboxes remain in the on-premises Exchange.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:52 PM
  • By accounts I meant emails.

Thanks for the reply, yes that's exactly what they want just that they do not want to go for office 365 since they already have exchange 2007 license for another server which they intend to use on the cloud server. Like in the event if their main on-premises server fails, the server at cloud should be able to answer the priority users. This is what they want unless I could suggest a cheaper alternate.

Friday, August 22, 2014 7:09 AM
  • I think you need to define what you're really looking to accomplish.

Is it just redundancy (i.e. protection against a failure of one server)? If it's just for e-mail, you can use CCR (Continuous Cluster Replication.).

If you're after the same thing (redundancy) for authentication then just add another domain controller to the existing AD forest.

If, instead, you're looking to protect against a site failure (e.g. a backhoe digs up the only Internet connection to your building) then you're into another (bigger) problem because just having the accounts hosted somewhere else won't give those 50 accounts access to anything on-premises, and that's where your data are.

• Proposed as answer by Amy.Wang Monday, August 25, 2014 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Monday, September 1, 2014 2:24 AM
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Thank you very much for the detailed response and sorry for late response. 

At the moment I would put another Domain Controller but if I really want to go for the second option like putting a proper DR site, is  there any document or article that you could refer to me, which would help me understand the steps required to accomplish one. 

Thanks alot for all the help.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:39 AM
  • The first thing I'd recommend is moving off Exchange 2007. It will reach its end-of-life in April 2017.

You'll find information published by Microsoft about your question if you search for "exchange 2007 site redundancy". It's not a trivial undertaking.

• Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Monday, September 1, 2014 2:25 AM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 3:36 AM