Updating Global Address Book RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been tasked with updating the global address list with all of the contact information from a previous version of software my business had been using.  Our server type is MAPI and I saw on here the use of a CSV file but I was wondering if there was an easier and more efficient way of adding contacts to the global address book.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If the email address for this contact is another domain, we can create Mail Contact or Mail User for this external users based on the CSV file. Then the Default Global Address List would be updated and add the new contacts in the GAL.

To achieve it, we can do:

1. Create mail contacts:

Import-CSV "C:\Contacts.CSV" | ForEach-Object {New-MailContact -Name $_.Name -ExternalEmailAddress $_.EmailAddress -EmailAddressPolicyEnabled $False}

2. Check whether the contacts are created complete in Exchange:

Get-MailContact

3. Update the default GAL:

Update-GlobalAddressList -Identity "Default Global Address List"

Then check whether the created contact is shown in Address Book in Outlook Online mode. For Cached mode, please update the Offline Address Book and wait for the update in Outlook client:

Get-offlineaddressbook | Update-offlineaddressbook

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If the email address for this contact is another domain, we can create Mail Contact or Mail User for this external users based on the CSV file. Then the Default Global Address List would be updated and add the new contacts in the GAL.

To achieve it, we can do:

1. Create mail contacts:

Import-CSV "C:\Contacts.CSV" | ForEach-Object {New-MailContact -Name $_.Name -ExternalEmailAddress $_.EmailAddress -EmailAddressPolicyEnabled $False}

2. Check whether the contacts are created complete in Exchange:

Get-MailContact

3. Update the default GAL:

Update-GlobalAddressList -Identity "Default Global Address List"

Then check whether the created contact is shown in Address Book in Outlook Online mode. For Cached mode, please update the Offline Address Book and wait for the update in Outlook client:

Get-offlineaddressbook | Update-offlineaddressbook

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Winnie,

Thank you for your help I believe I have that fixed.  But an additional issue I'm running into is creating groups. It seems to only allow me to add to it if the company I have has a fax number.  We do work with business that are large corporations and have individual contacts within that corporation.  Is there any way that I can create the group for that specific corporation and then add individual people under that group?

Thanks.

Tyler Desy

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:52 PM
  • Hi Tyler,

Sorry for my delay. If you have any new issue for this thread, I suggest we can open a new thread for further troubleshooting. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Monday, March 2, 2015 10:01 AM