unable to create sysprep answer file for server 2012r2 preview RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, trying to prepare for the upcoming server 2012 r2 by creating sysprep file to use in my image but when I import the install.wim file into windows system image manager I get a warning that the catalog file is missing and if I want to create one (removed rant about stupid thing software ask you) the problem is that after working for 10 minutes the error message appea:

Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog. For troubleshooting assistance, see the topic:"windows system image manager technical reference" in the windows ADK user guide.

Details: The operation failed to complete.

Clic here to open the log file.

**************** Begin Log File **********************

3:08 PM : This application requires version 6.3.9600.16384 of the Windows ADK.
    Install this version to correct the problem
    3:15 PM :
    3:15 PM : Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog. For troubleshooting assistance, see the topic: 'Windows System Image Manager Technical Reference' in the Windows ADK User's Guide.
    3:15 PM :
    3:15 PM : System.InvalidOperationException: The operation failed to complete. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.NativeMethods.GetSSPath(String path, String moduleName)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageImpl.InitializePackages()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageImpl..ctor(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.CreateInstance(String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.Cpi.PlatformImplementation.CreateOfflineImageInstance(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.Cpi.PlatformImplementation.CreateOfflineImageInstance(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.Cpi.CreateOfflineImageInstance(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageCatalog.Serialize(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageInfo.CreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.CatalogCreatorImpl.CreateCatalog(OfflineImageInfo offlineImageInfo)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.ICatalogCreator.CreateCatalog(OfflineImageInfo offlineImageInfo)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.CatalogGenerator.CreateCat(ProgressDialog pd, Object o)
    3:15 PM : System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.NativeMethods.GetSSPath(String path, String moduleName)
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageImpl.InitializePackages()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageImpl..ctor(OfflineImageInfo imageInfo)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.CreateInstance(String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
    3:15 PM : System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.

******************* End log file *********************

The first line in the log says: This application requires version 6.3.9600.16384 of the Windows ADK.

In help/about of system image manager I see: Windows system Image Manager (6.3.9600.16384)

I have this installed on a windows 7 pro x64 machine

I extracted the install.wim file from 2 different method in case it was the problem, I first extracted it using 7zip and encountered this problem. I then mounted the ISO file using deamon tool and dragged the install.wim from the virtual CD-Rom but it didn't made any difference.

Did anyone succesfully create the catalog (*.CLG) file for 2012r2 preview ? If so can you please upload that file somewhere so that I can start working on creating sysprep file.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 7:54 PM

Answers

• Finally found a solution, I had to use a windows 8.1 computer and install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 Preview

If you use the regular 8.1 version it will not work even on a windows 8.1 computer

Also I extracted the install.wim from within windows 8.1 by mounting the iso. Note: this method keep the readonly attribute option on so make sure to remove it.

I download the ADK 8.1 preview from microsoft using this link :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=39306

hope this help other in the future.

• Marked as answer by Cividan Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:25 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:25 PM

All replies

• First step is to re-remove the ADK, and re-install the ADK from scratch. It's possible that the ADK didn't get cleanly removed from last time.

You could also try to run the WSIM on a new clean machine.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 3, 2013 1:16 AM
  • First step is to re-remove the ADK, and re-install the ADK from scratch. It's possible that the ADK didn't get cleanly removed from last time.

You could also try to run the WSIM on a new clean machine.

I tried that, I installed ADK 8.1 on a clean freshly installed windows 2012r2 machine and I have the same issue. I also tried selecting different windows edition inside the install.wim and it makes no difference it always return me the same error.
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Finally found a solution, I had to use a windows 8.1 computer and install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 Preview

If you use the regular 8.1 version it will not work even on a windows 8.1 computer

Also I extracted the install.wim from within windows 8.1 by mounting the iso. Note: this method keep the readonly attribute option on so make sure to remove it.

I download the ADK 8.1 preview from microsoft using this link :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=39306

hope this help other in the future.

• Marked as answer by Cividan Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:25 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Did the same and installed the ADK from the above link on a Windows 8.1 Preview VM. I've installed only the Windows System Image Manager but I still get the same error.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:20 PM
  • This does not sound like an MDT issue (No released version of MDT supports Windows 8.1 RTM), rather an ADK issue.

Also, my personal experience leads me to believe that there is some kind of DLL Hell interaction problem on the machines in question. If you were to install Windows 8.1 (RTM), Windows ADK 8.1 (RTM), and create a new unattend.xml package for Windows Server 2012 R2 (RTM). That should work.

If it does *not* work, then I would recommending posting on the: Windows 8 IT Pro  >  Windows 8 Installation, Setup, and Deployment  forum.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:28 PM