none
Work Hours Reduced by 2 hours upon Self Assigning Team Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use the Self-Assign Team tasks functionnality in Project Server 2010. I have created a team named "Networking" and a generic work resource with the same name that belongs to the "Networking" team. I have updated both users "Resource1" and "Resource2" to belong to the "Networking" team, and set the Team Assignment Pool for Resource1, Resource2, and Networking users to true.

I created a project with two tasks task1 and task2 and have assigned task1 to the "Networking" resource, and published the project. I tried to log on as "Resource1" and add the task from Timesheet > Insert Team Tasks.
    Task1 was available with the inital work hours set to 8 hours since task duration was set to 1 day.

The weird issue that happens here is that after selecting the task and assigning it to myself, I notice that the total work hours is reduced by at least 2 hours. I have repeated this test for many times, but the issue kept happening, with the difference in work hours reduction, sometimes 2hours sometimes 3h or more..it depends.

Does anybody have a clue on the behavior of the task work hours in such cases? Why the work hours doesn't remain as initially set by the project manager? It's really confusing.

Kindly advise and thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:50 PM

All replies

• M O N A, before drilling in to the team assignment aspect, can you confirm the behaviour if you just do a simple assignment of one of these resources to a task. Is there any anomalous setting of the hours? Could there be an effect from the timing of the task (starting in the middle of the day and therefore only a reduced number of hours available for work in that day) - or from the working hours (do any of the resources involved have less that 8-hour workday) - or from the Max Units setting (do any of the resources have less than 100%)?

Graham

Friday, March 29, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Hello Graham,

To answer your first question, if i do a simple assignment to one of these resources to a task let's say "Resource1", everything works fine, the task with duration planned initially in the project to 1 day (8h) remains the same in the resource timesheet and the planning of work hours is done correctly.

However, when I assign the task X to the the "Networking" generic team resource (belonging to "Networking" team) knowing that "Resource1" also belongs to the same team, and afterwards log in as Resource1 to self-assign the task, the behaviour is not working the usual way. The planned hours  for Task X with duration initiallly set to 1 day (8h) is reduced to 5hours from 11:00 AM to 5:00PM in the same day, as if the first 3 hours of the day has been removed somehow, but to stress that the actual work hours for task X remain equal to 0.

To answer your second question, all the mentioned resources have 100% Max units, and their calendar is the Standard calendar.

Do you have any idea why this behaviour is happening only for the Self Assign Team task? Am I doing something wrong here by assigning the task to a generic work resource or is there any missing step here?

if you need further details to provide you, just let me know. Appreciate your help.

thanks

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:43 AM
  • M O N A, mysterious. I don't have an answer, I'm afraid, just a few suggestions for additional checks I would do in your situation.

• I think you looked at this but I don't see the answer specifically - does Resource1 have any hours scheduled for this task on the day(s) after the day with the 5 hour assignment block?
    • In the My Assignments view, use the Tasks->Display->Units->Date option from the ribbon to select the display of 'time of day' - see what the start time looks like on the original Networking assignment and what happens to it when Resource 1 self-assigns.
    • In the Resource Usage view in Project Pro, for the Networking assignment, zoom in so you can see the time of day for the assigned work. Anything odd there? What is the Peak Units value?
    • Is there anything consistent about the days when the Resource1 assignment gets cut short by 2 hours vs 3 hours?

Graham

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:06 PM
  • MONA, you wrote: "I have updated both users "Resource1" and "Resource2" to belong to the "Networking" team, and set the Team Assignment Pool for Resource1, Resource2, and Networking users to true."

I don't know if it is the cause of your problem, but you should not check the Team Assignment Pool box for Resource1 and Resource2.  Those resources are correctly set as members of the team, but in your example, only the "Networking" resource should be set as the Team Assignment Pool.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Hi Reid, 

Thank you for your reply. I tried to apply what you said above, by unchecking the Team Assignment Pool for "Resource1" who belongs to the "Networking" team and keeping it checked only for the generic resource "Networking".

The same behavior keeps on being repeated. I have also checked for the resource availability of "Resource1" before assigning the task to the "Networking" team, and he has a total capacity of 8h and availability of 8h for the task date i'm trying to assign to the team.

Even if the task duration is 2 days let's say (16h), when i first assign the task to the team in the Project Plan, and check the time with date option, i see that task start date is for example 14/04/2013 8:00 AM and end date 15/04/2013 5:00 PM. However when Resource1 self assigns the task, and navigates to the timesheet, the same tasks initially having the mentioned start and end dates becomes: 

Start date: 14/04/2013 11:00 AM   / End Date: 15/04/2013 5:00 PM

In addition, an reassignment task request is sent for approval to the status manager, with Resource set to "Networking" team and Owner "Networking" with start date Start date: 14/04/2013 8:00 AM and End date: Start date: 14/04/2013 11:00 AM, hence a planned work hours of 3 for the "Networking" team is assigned.

Why I am having this behavior? I want the whole 16hours assigned to Resource1, i want to have Resource1 from the Networking team to be fully allocated on the task, and not have his work hours on the task x substracted by 2h or 3h , whatever.

Is there any reasonable explanation? Please advise.

THanks for your help.

Friday, April 5, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Dear all,

Do you have any update or idea on my latest comment above?

Kindly advise and thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:33 AM
  • MONZ:

Your statement:

I am trying to use the Self-Assign Team tasks functionnality in Project Server 2010. I have created a team named "Networking" and a generic work resource with the same name that belongs to the "Networking" team. I have updated both users "Resource1" and "Resource2" to belong to the "Networking" team, and set the Team Assignment Pool for Resource1, Resource2, and Networking users to true.

If the last line of your statement is true, this is your problem. Only the Networking Generic Resource should have the checkbox for "Team Assignment Pool" checked. That tells the system that the Generic Resource is not a standard Generic Resource, rather it is an assignmet pool. Actual Resources simply need the team name field updated.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:51 AM
  • Hi Gary,

THank you for your reply. However if you read my last reply on April 5th, i have explained that i have did this before but still it is not working.

"I tried to apply what you said above, by unchecking the Team Assignment Pool for "Resource1" who belongs to the "Networking" team and keeping it checked only for the generic resource "Networking".

The same behavior keeps on being repeated. I have also checked for the resource availability of "Resource1" before assigning the task to the "Networking" team, and he has a total capacity of 8h and availability of 8h for the task date i'm trying to assign to the team.

Even if the task duration is 2 days let's say (16h), when i first assign the task to the team in the Project Plan, and check the time with date option, i see that task start date is for example 14/04/2013 8:00 AM and end date 15/04/2013 5:00 PM. However when Resource1 self assigns the task, and navigates to the timesheet, the same tasks initially having the mentioned start and end dates becomes:

Start date: 14/04/2013 11:00 AM / End Date: 15/04/2013 5:00 PM

In addition, an reassignment task request is sent for approval to the status manager, with Resource set to "Networking" team and Owner "Networking" with start date Start date: 14/04/2013 8:00 AM and End date: Start date: 14/04/2013 11:00 AM, hence a planned work hours of 3 for the "Networking" team is assigned.

Why I am having this behavior? I want the whole 16hours assigned to Resource1, i want to have Resource1 from the Networking team to be fully allocated on the task, and not have his work hours on the task x substracted by 2h or 3h , whatever."

Is there any reasonable explanation? Please advise.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:00 PM
  • The expected behavior is that the entire amount of work is assigned to the resource, so something is going wrong. This is not a bug, so it's in the data or configuration. You most certainly set this up incorrectly from your original post. What downstream impact this has, I have no idea. What is the task type you are using? Have you tried creating a new team assignment resource to determine if the team assignment pool became corrupt?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:21 PM