Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG registry errors for Ethernet port only RRS feed

• Question

• I've just upgraded the driver on my HP Pavillion DV9088ea for the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter to the intel driver from the Microsoft supplied one and now the Wireless part works ok, but the Ethernet part does not work.

Vista (SP1) tries to find a driver for the Ethernet adapter on boot, and goes through the normal finding driver routine, finds the driver but then issues the error message (about three times), "unable to open the driver specific registry key for this device", and the installation fails leaving the Wireless adapter working, but the Ethernet adapter not working.

The driver was upgraded to version 12.1.2.1
     of the driver found at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17158.

Looks like I either need to add/change/fix a regsitry key, or remove the driver.

Looking here - http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/226287-unable-auto-install-re-install-generic-device-drivers.html, seems to say that there is a registry key missing that points to the .INF file for the driver, but I'm not sure what to do here.

I've tried to uninstall the device in Device Manager, and checked the box to remove the drivers for this device, thinking that it will then revert to the old driver. However, this leads to the system reverting to a driver which leads to both the wireless adapter and ethernet adapter not working and thus I can't connect to help/drivers etc. Perhaps there is a way to remove drivers manually so they won't be found by Vista, if so how do I do this and is there a well known working driver for this device that I should go to. I've read that these may be cached somewhere.

This led me to do a System Restore, to get back to where I am now - and I don't really want to do that again!

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Friday, January 2, 2009 11:29 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

From the post, I suspect that after the driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter was upgraded, the Ethernet adapter failed to work. When trying to install the driver for the Ethernet adapter The error message "unable to open the driver specific registry key for this device" was received. Please let me know if this is the case.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Install the NIC driver with administrator permissions.

Note: please ensure that the driver is compatible with Windows Vista.

You can get the driver from the website of the Ethernet adapter’s manufacture, HP, or the CD came with the computer. If there is a new version released, please try this one.

Right-click on the installation package, and click “Run as administrator”. And install with its directions.

2.    We have a tool (Process Monitor) to monitor Registry access activities. We can use it to monitor the registry when installing the drivers, to find what the related registry key is.

1)    Download the tool from the following site:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

2)    Please run this tool and start the registry monitoring, before you install the driver.

3)    Install the driver and reproduce the error.

4)    Stop the monitor and review the log to see where the error message is from.

If you catch the keys, please check their permissions, and let me know what they are.

3.    Please also involve HP for technical support since the issue is related to the hardware.

To contact them, please refer to the following sites:

http://www.hp.com/#Support

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Meanwhile, please also let me know the following:

1.    The detailed information about your Ethernet adapter, such as brand, model, etc.

2.    Which version of Windows Vista are you using, a OEM version or a retail one?

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, January 5, 2009 10:58 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

From the post, I suspect that after the driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter was upgraded, the Ethernet adapter failed to work. When trying to install the driver for the Ethernet adapter The error message "unable to open the driver specific registry key for this device" was received. Please let me know if this is the case.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Install the NIC driver with administrator permissions.

Note: please ensure that the driver is compatible with Windows Vista.

You can get the driver from the website of the Ethernet adapter’s manufacture, HP, or the CD came with the computer. If there is a new version released, please try this one.

Right-click on the installation package, and click “Run as administrator”. And install with its directions.

2.    We have a tool (Process Monitor) to monitor Registry access activities. We can use it to monitor the registry when installing the drivers, to find what the related registry key is.

1)    Download the tool from the following site:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

2)    Please run this tool and start the registry monitoring, before you install the driver.

3)    Install the driver and reproduce the error.

4)    Stop the monitor and review the log to see where the error message is from.

If you catch the keys, please check their permissions, and let me know what they are.

3.    Please also involve HP for technical support since the issue is related to the hardware.

To contact them, please refer to the following sites:

http://www.hp.com/#Support

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Meanwhile, please also let me know the following:

1.    The detailed information about your Ethernet adapter, such as brand, model, etc.

2.    Which version of Windows Vista are you using, a OEM version or a retail one?

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, January 5, 2009 10:58 AM
  • Hi.

Also you can try this

1-Download the latest driver from intel website and use the first driver in the list
    2-unzip the files in C: and do not install the setup.exe
    3-Go to device manager and update the driver manually by double click the device under network adapters and select the driver tap.
    5-make click in update the driver fallow the wizard and choose update driver from a list and then select the option have disk and you need to choose browse
    6-when you browse the files you will find a dll file and this will have this name "NETw5r32.dll"  choose that file and apply the changes after this reboot the computer and should be works fine

Please let me know if this help you

Byron
    DCSE | MCP | MCTS

Nemesis
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:00 AM