Windows 7 Software compatibility to Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a program that I can download that will check the software compatibility for Windows 10. I am currently running  Windows 7 home premium 64.
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:04 PM

Answers

• Generally speaking

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc),  games and settings (ie. passwords, custom dictionary, application settings).

However it is a good practice to backup most important data before the upgrade.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:18 PM
  • Hi

If you see the "Get Windows 10" App on your taskbar you could follow the steps posted here to verify that your apps will work on Windows 10: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-check-device-app-compatibility-before-reserving-a-windows-10-copy/

If you do an in-place upgrade from the Windows 10 installation media the setup will verify both your hardware devices and Apps and alert you if it finds a problem. And it does a pretty good job.

I would suggest that you do a backup of your important data and then do the upgrade. If you do not like Windows 10 you can always downgrade and get your "old" Windows 10 installation back. You just have to remember that you have 30 days to downgrade counted from the installation date of Windows 10. After the 30 days Windows 10 will delete your old installation.

/Michael Buchardt

Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:19 PM

All replies

• Generally speaking

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc),  games and settings (ie. passwords, custom dictionary, application settings).

However it is a good practice to backup most important data before the upgrade.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

• 1. There was ACT that was exactly what you are in mind. This tool is no longer supported.

Find information in Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 10.

2. Microsoft has Compatibility Center. Take in mind that tyhe results are based on Windows user experinece.

3. I do recommend contacting software vendor for help (support and forum).

Regards

Milos

• Hi

If you see the "Get Windows 10" App on your taskbar you could follow the steps posted here to verify that your apps will work on Windows 10: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-check-device-app-compatibility-before-reserving-a-windows-10-copy/

If you do an in-place upgrade from the Windows 10 installation media the setup will verify both your hardware devices and Apps and alert you if it finds a problem. And it does a pretty good job.

I would suggest that you do a backup of your important data and then do the upgrade. If you do not like Windows 10 you can always downgrade and get your "old" Windows 10 installation back. You just have to remember that you have 30 days to downgrade counted from the installation date of Windows 10. After the 30 days Windows 10 will delete your old installation.

/Michael Buchardt

Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:19 PM