none
DNAME no longer resolving in server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have introduced my first 2012 R2 Domain controller and DNS server. ALL is working well except for the Server will not provide the IP address for a DNAME entry. I have looked high and low and believe it is associated to a particular update that was installed.

Current version of the DNS.exe is 6.39600.18729 I have read that all over the internet about specific update that broke the DNAME functionality but my server does not have any of those updates mentioned applied.  It is current on patching so very confused on what has broken the lookup

If I do a  nslookup and do a set type=dname then the IP is displayed.  I do not have a way in my application to add that type of command I need the regular DNS query to answer with the IP from a dname

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, I did the same experiment on windows server 2019 and the same problem also occurred.

I think this issue has nothing to do with the dns.exe version.

Nslookup can not directly resolve DNAME's IP address is probably its inherent problem.

For the nslookup command, please refer to the following link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/nslookup

Hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:41 AM
  • I realize that the nslookup you can set the type as DNAME and it will resolve.  Unfortunately how I was using the entry caused a Citrix beacon that requires name resolution to IP to break.  For me I was able to change the entry from a DNAME to a CNAME and all is good again the DNS entry resolves to an IP now.  Feels like there are really not very many instances that you should be using a DNAME hence why 2012 forward is not working like it does in 2008 and prior.
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sharing the solution to this issue, I learn more from your reply, and I believe partners who may visit this thread in the future will benefit from your sharing. 

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 15, 2018 6:05 AM