none
Task Start and Finish Dates in Gantt Chart do not match with those in "Task Usage" view RRS feed

• Question

•  I am using MPP 2010 to plan for a specific training program.

1) The training durations are 3 hrs or 4 hrs.

2) The training should start and finish on the same day (fixed duration) and require 3 hours to complete (fixed work for teacher and students).

3) Trainings have dependency (like training2 can begin only after training1. but both trainings can happen on same day).

What I did:

1) Set project start date, created project calendar

2) created tasks and depedencies. created summary tasks (no links between summary tasks, no resources assigned to summary tasks)

3) assigned resources

4) I did not manually enter start and finish date for any task, so there were certain overallocations

5) After I did auto resource-levelling, some tasks got split (like - a 3 hr training was showing 2.68 hrs on Monday and 0.32 hrs on Tuesday (#problem1)

6) Then I had to use "Task Usage" view to solve above problem and I manually entered integer work hours against resource and a calendar date.

7) After step 6, Task Usage view shows correct integer hours for each task. Each training ends on the same day, all dependancies are taken care of.  I could see in "Resource Usage' view that - no resource is overallocated as per project calendar.

8) When I come to Gantt chart, I see 2 issues:

Problem#2: Task Duration is not 1 day and there is gap between Start date and Finish Date (even all my tasks start and end on same day as per task usage view).

problem#3: For Summary tasks, the Start date shows correctly (earliest date for its subtask) but Finish date does not show <latest Finish date for its subtask>

Can you please help me find answers to these 3 problems? Please let me know what I should have done to avoid these problems?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:16 AM

All replies

• the splits created during the leveling and the actions you took later likely caused the issues with the finish dates.

I would start over and either dont use leveling OR change the leveling options to disable "Leveling can adjust individual asisngments on a task" and "leveling can create splits in remaining work"

This will likely be easier than trying to get everything back from where you are now.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Brian.

I will retry all the planning and will see if that helps.

However I saw the problem with Start and Finish date (problem # 3) for summary tasks even before resource levelling (or even before I assigned resources to the subtasks). There could be something else that is causing summary task to not show the dates correctly.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:49 AM
  • I created my plan again and did the resource assignment. No dates are manually entered.

Still, I see that- after levelling resources

1) Levelling just delayed finish date for some tasks. What I want is - it should delay the start date so that finish date automatically gets delayed.

2) Duration of "fixed" duration tasks changed. 4 hours task shows like 11 hours. (because of # 1).

I have a very basic need. I need a plan for somewhat like-

1) 3 resources have series of meetings (30 in number , 4 hours each) together. So the tasks(meetings) are fixed duration and no matter what, the duration should not change.

2) A meeting should start and finish on same day. If next meeting can not finish on same day. It should push "start" date of such meeting so that, it gets scheduled on next day and finishes on that day.

3) There is depedenacy for some meetings.

Can someone guide how I can achieve above 3 things?

Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:44 PM