Offline Messages RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to determine if sending offline messages is supported in our environment.  I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information in forum posts, probably because Office 365 vs. on-premises isn't clearly stated.  I'm also seeing information that is dated, so maybe updates since have changed things.

Anyway, our environment is all on-premises with a single Skype for Business Server 2015, Exchange 2010, and Skype 2016 MSI client (16.0.4639.1000).

If this is supported, any configuration information would be appreciated.  I've tried several client configurations, but no go.

If this is not supported, which piece, or pieces, do we need to upgrade/replace to make it work?

Thank you

Thursday, July 26, 2018 4:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi ,

Offline IM is a client side feature built into Skype for Business client (2016 C2R build 16.0.6701.1000 or higher),you install the MSI Version client,please change the Office 2016 click to run version.and make sure you intall the SFB server 2015 CU3.

Set-CsImConfiguration -EnableOfflineIM $True

You could refer to the following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/deploy/im-and-presence/enable-or-disable-offline-im

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 27, 2018 5:26 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Leon.

I found that link a few days ago and tried to install the C2R version of the Skype client, but it will not install alongside Office 2016. Part of the message reads:

Click-to-Run and Windows Installer editions of Office programs don't get along for this version, so you can only have one type installed at a time.

We're licensed for Office Professional Plus.  As far as I'm aware that's only available as a Windows Installer package.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the C2R version of Office requires an Office365 licenses, which we do not have.

So, is the Offline IM feature only available to Office365 customers due to the limitations of the Windows Installer version of the Skype client?

Thanks!

Friday, July 27, 2018 1:32 PM
  • I would like to know this too.

It's been two years since the Offline Messaging functionality has been introduced to the on-premise build and if the MSI based install still doesn't support this feature that's just ridiculous.

Microsoft needs to stop punishing customers who choose not to drink the cloud koolaid and still spend tens of thousands of dollars for on premise licensing.

Friday, July 27, 2018 2:05 PM
  • Hey Jay,

I had a case open with Microsoft Skype support.  They let me know that Exchange 2013 was required for this as a minimum Exchange version and the minimum supported Skype client was 16.0.6701.1000, which is the C2R client.

So this feature appears to be limited to Office365.  Skype support did suggest opening a case with Office support just to verify.  I'm not hopeful, but maybe they will have some ideas.  I did see the on-premises version of Office 2019 will only come as a C2R option. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4086137/office-2019-on-premises-release-details-february-1-2018)  Maybe there's a C2R version of 2016 Pro Plus that I'm not aware of that we could be using.  We'll see.

Friday, July 27, 2018 3:31 PM
  • Just to wrap this one up...

I talked to Microsoft Office support and they confirmed the C2R install cannot be installed with the MSI version of Office.  They did confirm that the Office 2019 install will be C2R instead of MSI.  They passed along this link as well:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4086177/office-2019-perpetual-volume-license-products-available-click-to-run

Now we can look forward to the MSI to C2R upgrade.  I'm sure that will go smoothly.

• Marked as answer by OshkoshBill Wednesday, August 1, 2018 1:30 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2018 5:20 PM
  • Thanks for doing the leg work on this Bill.

Very disappointing. Especially considering you are forced to use Microsoft's update channels for the O365 C2R.  WSUS and SCCM are not able to update the C2R installs:

Choose how to manage updates to Office 365 ProPlus
    Friday, July 27, 2018 5:30 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 12:09 AM
  • Ok ,thanks for your sharing.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:27 AM