Unable to Open Word File with IRM Protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am unable to open an old word file as the certificate has expired. I get this message.

" Sorry, something went wrong opening Information Rights Management protected content. The revocation process could not continue-the certificate(s) could not be checked."

I am the author of this document. The Domain server and the network in which this file was created are no longer in use. Please advise.

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 9:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please follow @hassans1's reply to have a check.

Generally, when you open a document, workbook, or presentation with restricted permission, you'll connect to a licensing server to verify your credentials and to download a use license. If the domain server and the network isn't accessible any more, you won't open these protected files.

Based on my research, there is a workaround in this thread: Information Rights Management problem in Office 2013. You can follow @Bassam Zaghloul 's reply to have a check.

If you can't open the file still, please contact Microsoft support directly for help. There may be other options from Microsoft support.

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, January 1, 2020 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the replies are helpful to this question, please remember to mark them as answers. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, January 6, 2020 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates here? I'm looking forward to your responses. If you need further assistance, feel free to post back to let us help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 2:03 AM