none
Unlinking older program base data RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Project 2010

I recently saved to another name, a copy of an existing Project in which the start and finish times were by date.

I then deleted all the tasks in the new project and listed new tasks.  The new project was an hour by hour, day by day agenda so I went to File/Options/Project View/Date format and changed from Date to Hours.

I discovered that my original Project also automatically changed to Hours as a result, which I don't want to happen!

I deleted the new file and tried starting a new project from scratch from File/New/Blank Project but the problem remained!

On reading all the blogs and advice on MS Project, I understand how sub projects can be formed and any changes to the sub projects also affect the main project.  I also understand that a Project baseline, once set can prevail on subsequent projects unless the link is broken.

How can I start afresh on a new Project and set up all the right parameters for that project, without it affecting prior projects?

Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:18 AM

All replies

• My IT guy worked it out!  Talk about hiding under a rock!

In Project go to View/Tables/More Tables/Edit/Start/Date Format/(Drop down) Hours.

Likewise for Finish.

I would never have thought to look in "Tables"

Does anyone have an alternative answer??

Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:12 AM
  • Engineer1946,

The option to set the date format (File/Options/General group) is a global setting. In other words, once you set that for either date only or date including time, that is how all projects you open or create as new will appear. However, you can customize the date format for any given file using the process your IT guy found.

It's very similar to text formatting or Gantt Bar formatting. Those can either be set globally or customized for specific task lines.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, July 21, 2016 1:32 PM
  • Many thanks John!  I get the drift.
    Friday, July 22, 2016 12:56 AM
  • Engineer1946,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, July 22, 2016 2:06 AM