How long is the content available in the Cache when using Hosted BranchCache mode on a Dedicated Server in a remote slow location? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Here is our scenario:

I'm planning to use BranchCache for deploying software packages to CongigMgr 2012 clients in a slow and remote location where a file server (Windows 2008 R2) server might be available to use has a Hosted BranchCache. Since deployments will be non frequent in these locations and bandwidth is a concern, plus we don't want to distribute all of the packages content on theses servers to be available just in case, because disk space is also a problem.

My question is, what happens to the packages in the cache of the Windows Server machine? How long does it remains there? is it flush after a certain period of time. Microsoft documentation for SCCM branchCache mode scenario refer to Windows 2008 BranchCache and both documentations are vague on the content behaviors in the Cache. Is it SCCM client that control the cache behavior or entirely the Windows server 2008 side and how long does it retains the content? Until the cache % has reached is maximum?

Thanks for you help!

Big Air

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:17 PM

Answers

• For BranchCache, the operating system controls how long things stay in the cache, not the ConfigMgr client.  The settings are typically managed locally or through group policy.

By default, if content hasn't been accessed for 28 days, it is removed from the BranchCache cache. If you are leveraging this for ConfigMgr, you may want to increase it if you have large content that should stick around longer.  I would hate to have a large Application removed from cache (think AutoDesk or ArcGIS) because it wasn't needed again until 29 days later.  You can use a powershell command like "Set-BCDataCacheEntryMaxAge -TimeDays 90" to increase the max age.  More info:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14309.branchcache-frequently-asked-questions.aspx

When the cache is full, I think it is an 'oldest block out' first method.  This is nice because if the oldest content is 1,000MB and you only need an additional 2MB of space for new content, only 2MB of your old content gets overwritten.  If someone needs the old content again, then it will only have to redownload 2MB.   For examples of the block overwrites, see the answers in this post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2branchoffice/thread/8fe12313-12cf-4e77-8828-2569feaded72

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by NPherson Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Big Air Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:11 PM

All replies