Calendar Sync Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings All,

I am having an issue that is driving me nuts at the moment. here are a few details on what is going on.

Setup:

1- Administrative Assistant is using Windows 7 with Office365 ProPlus Click to Run.

2- Outlook Running ON Cache mode for their Mailbox and "Download shared folders" checked as well.

3- OST currently at 7GB.

4- Cache Slider Set to 3 Months

5- Online Archiving is turned on for all mailboxes.

Flow:

1- Administrative Assistant Opens Their Outlook.

2- Administrative Assistant Views their Manager's Calendar.

3- Administrative Assistant double clicks on the desired time slot on the Manager's calendar. Appointment Window shows up.

4- Administrative Assistant enters information and click on Save and Close button.

5- Administrative Assistant repeat for another 7-8 Calendar Entries.

6- Administrative Calls me 4 hours later telling me that all the Entries are not longer there on his Calendar.

Troubleshooting:

1- Verified that Entries are not on Webmail.

2- When reproducing the issue, Calendar entry will not make it to Webmail unless "Update Folder" button is clicked. "Send Receive" doesn't synchronize the entries.

3- Office Repair doesn't fix the issue.

4- Office in Safe Mode doesn't fix the issue.

5- ALL Administrative Assistances are having this issue.

6- The Issue is Random (Not all entries do not make it).

Notes:

1- Entries put on the Administrative Assistance's Calendar doesn't have this issue, it is only on the Manager's Calendar (Calendar they have access to).

2- Meetings do not seem to be affected by this issue.

Workaround for now:

1- Turn off Cache mode for "Shared folders". It makes the Calendars very slow and sluggish however.

Impact:

1- The issue is a huge problems because I am getting reports from all Admin Assistances that they enter calendar entries, verify they are on the calendar, and a few hours later, they notice that they are not on the calendar. The managers normally notice as well and ask why the requested entries were not scheduled.

Any help appreciated.

Edit: I am putting this here because I believe it is a Client issue.
    • Edited by NANEMOZ Monday, November 27, 2017 7:37 PM Clarified that I think this is a client issue.
    • Moved by Yuki SunMicrosoft contingent staff Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:47 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Monday, November 27, 2017 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my experience, it’s usually suggested to turn off Download Shared Folders to avoid synchronize issues or oversized OST file problems, especially when a shared folder or calendar is accessed by many people.

Regarding your concern about the slow performance, I’d like to recommend working on a faster computer that has a smaller mailbox and a fast network connection for better experience. Besides, it is suggested to reduce the number of shared folders or mailboxes the assistants have open in Outlook.

Hope this can be helpful.  

Regards,

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by NANEMOZ Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my experience, it’s usually suggested to turn off Download Shared Folders to avoid synchronize issues or oversized OST file problems, especially when a shared folder or calendar is accessed by many people.

Regarding your concern about the slow performance, I’d like to recommend working on a faster computer that has a smaller mailbox and a fast network connection for better experience. Besides, it is suggested to reduce the number of shared folders or mailboxes the assistants have open in Outlook.

Hope this can be helpful.  

Regards,

Perry Pan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by NANEMOZ Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going on?

If my reply helps, would you mind mark it as answer so that other who might have similar question can more easily find the useful post?

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry Pan

Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:03 AM
  • Hello Perry,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, it was helpful as a good second opinion. I suspected as such and I was happy to see others support my decision to push the solution of not syncing shared folders.

However, I think this lag will not be mitigated due to the nature of the connection.

We are currently running on a 1GB connection (Speedtest.net shows, 15ms ping/441mb download/111mb upload), and all Admins are running on SSDs with i5/16gb of RAM.

Funnily enough, As I am typing this, I got an IM from one of the Admin Assistances I am helping:

Edit: I pasted a picture on here but it doesn't show. here is the message in text:

"outlooks stinks..... super slow and having multiple delays with a bunch of stuff...."

^_^

• Edited by NANEMOZ Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:30 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

So happy that my reply helps. Thank you for your update!

Regards,

Perry Pan

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 1:47 AM