none
Access Based Enumeration RRS feed

• Question

• One of the nodes of a file server cluster deleted shadow copies for two of its volumes due to a VSS error this weekend, so I disabled local VSS on the node to let DPM2010 handle VSS for clients.  Server 2008 obviously uses ABE on VSS restores if ABE is enabled for the share.  Unfortunately, our DPM server is not doing ABE and clients can enumerate subfolders on shares when viewing the previous versions. 

Is there a way to enable Access Based Enumeration within DPM for client restores?  I hope I am missing something basic or this is yet another DPM feature that isn't available in the GUI but can be set via PS.  Server Manager doesn't even show properties of the shares on the DPM server due to illegal characters in the path.

Monday, October 25, 2010 4:14 AM

Answers

• Now I understand your question. Unfortunately at this point the file and folder names will be visible and are not protected by the DPM implementation.

Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:31 AM

All replies

• DPM will honour the access control on the files and folders. Only users who have access to the data will have access to the previous versions of the data.
    Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:39 AM
  • Yes, I know that.  However, sensitive information may still be exposed via folder and file names which is why we use ABE. 

Is DPM capable of performing ABE for a protected share when ABE is enabled on the protected server?  It seems logical that DPM should do this given that ABE has been around since Server 2003 SP1. 

Monday, November 15, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Now I understand your question. Unfortunately at this point the file and folder names will be visible and are not protected by the DPM implementation.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Is the lack of ABE considered an oversight?  Bug?   Does MS have a position on if and when this will be implemented? 

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Is there any update to the status of ABE in DPM protected shares?  DPM 2012? 
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Checking back to see the status of ABE in DPM.  I hope this is being remedied in DPM 2012.   Any status update available?

Monday, August 1, 2011 2:35 PM