Does Outlook 365 effectively serve as a Email (PST) backup to Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Our 20 employees use SHAW ISP as the email manager.

We all have Microsoft accounts and Office 2016 installed on each PC. 

One PC had a complete hard-drive failure. Lost her PST. 

On attempting recovery I found, SHAW held the last 2 weeks emails (as specified in Shaw email rules). 

But when looking through LIVE.com at her email, the inbox and contacts were empty. 

How do I activate the LIVE.COM (outlook 365) email service. Will it hold a complete backup (sync'd with) with Outlook 2016 PST? 

Is this a good and fair way to have a parallel PST maintained in cloud at Office 365/Outlook 365?

Sunday, July 9, 2017 9:30 PM

All replies

• Hi William,

Is 'SHAW' the provider of your mail service? Does the lost PST file belong to the SHAW email account? If this is the case, I'm afraid you cannot restore your missing emails/PST file from the live.com email service.

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, August 7, 2017 9:01 AM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 7:57 AM
  • You can use one drive for storing your PST online. You can sync the folder of the user on which the PST is stored, so it will be synced to cloud as well.

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-US/plans/

"But it doesn't work if the user updates the PST regularly. I mean parallel pst can't be maintained".

You can create a rule for users to send a copy of all emails they receive to a different account( Example : outlook.com or gmail accounts ).

If SHAW SIP provides automatic  bcc for emails user sends, then you can even store the sent items to that account by setting auto bcc to that account.

"Its more like a journaling backup". let me know your thoughts on the above.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:57 PM
  • It is because the Office 365 had not archived the emails properly. Outlook does it to save bandwidth and space. I use Mac and Office 365 did the very same to me as well. Now I use Mail Backup X. It backs up mails from my Outlook and marks the ones as “Uncached”, if not downloaded properly. I can download the mails forcibly. The Viewer screen of Mail Backup X shows me a complete Outlook 365 Backup now. 
    Friday, July 6, 2018 8:05 AM