none
Win 10 - Track my device RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently moving to Win 10 pro and have a large number of users that will use their laptops remotely.

The track my device feature of win 10 intrigues me, as a way to quickly spot where my laptop assets are in the world.
    As a sort of back up should users not return them on departure etc.

However we of course use domain accounts in our enterprise, and I read the track my device needs a Microsoft account to be signed in.

Is there anyway to get this to work with domain accounts, or if not, anyway to activate the service on all assets using the same MS account (limitations) in a way that wouldn't give them access to remove / disable or setup that MS account under the mail app etc?

If not, are there any location tracking services / apps that work well with Win 10?

Thanks,

Curtis

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:22 AM

All replies

• Yes. You can use the same MSA on as many computers as you want.

To track a device you need to sign in to your device with a Microsoft account

1. On your device, select Start  > Settings  > Update & security  > Find my device.
    2. Turn on Find my device.

To find your device

1. Go to account.microsoft.com/devices. If you're asked to sign in, use the same Microsoft account you used to sign in to your device.
    2. From your device list, choose the device you want to find, then select Find my device. You should see a map with your device's location.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:53 PM
  • I believe you are referring to Find My Device feature.

This is feature for personal user and when they are login with Microsoft Account, they are the one who could trace the location.

However, if they are connected to domain, you could keep an eye in their IP address and estimate their location using IP Address Location.

For privacy reasons, there is no feature to directly trace all users.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:54 PM