Can I initialize an external disk that has lot of data? RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Vista Business Edition. I tried to connect an USB external hard drive and the disk shows up in the system tray (Safely Remove the Hardware). But under my computer it will not show. I went to the Computer Management by right clicking on the MyPC icon and under the Disk Management I could see the disk. But it says, it is Unallocated and it has to be initialized. I have lot data in the disk. Can I still initialize the disk? Or how can I make the computer to understand my external hard drive without the lose of any data?
    Thank you,
    RE.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 5:40 AM

Answers

• Hello Regal,

Thank you for posting!

If the external disk space is claimed to be unallocated and need to be initialized, the initialization and format information of the external disk may corrupt.

Please don’t initialize the disk as that may cause the data loss. Instead, connect it to another computer with different system, if possible, try if that computer can detect the external disk. If that fails to work, you may try some 3rd party data recovery applications to save your data.

Besides, please let me know the model of the external hard disk and your system information. I’ll help you check if this is a general issue.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to let me know if you have more questions on this topic.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hello Regal,

Thank you for posting!

If the external disk space is claimed to be unallocated and need to be initialized, the initialization and format information of the external disk may corrupt.

Please don’t initialize the disk as that may cause the data loss. Instead, connect it to another computer with different system, if possible, try if that computer can detect the external disk. If that fails to work, you may try some 3rd party data recovery applications to save your data.

Besides, please let me know the model of the external hard disk and your system information. I’ll help you check if this is a general issue.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to let me know if you have more questions on this topic.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:56 AM
  • Hi Mr. Chen, I had the same issue with the guy above this comment. I tried to take a look on my disk but I accidentally clicked on initialize. It parted with 3 TB harddrive into 2048.00 GB and 746.52GB. Is there a way to get my data back? I managed to retrieve old data back (3.5" internal) then even after I partitioned it and formatted it. However, with this new external with larger storage, it seems like the whole different issue. I know this is a old post but I am hoping if not you but anybody out there able to help me out. Thank you!.
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 6:03 AM