Exchange 2003 DB Defrag - ESEUTIL estimates RRS feed

• Question

• I'll spare the details but we have to keep a remaining Exchange 2003 database around until we get a new voicemail solution - all user mailboxes have been migrated to 2010.  The problem is I can't dismount the database to run eseutil /ms until our maintenance window hits in two weeks and I'd like to get a better idea if I can perform the defrag then or if I need to get a longer maintenance window for this particular task.

The situation is as follows:

DB Size:        750GB
    Whitespace: 733GB (based on event 1221)
    Used Space: 17GB

Based on the 9GB/hour eseutil rate (could be slower based on our hardware) this could be a worst case of 3.5 days or best case 2 hours if it only processes the used space.  Can anyone confirm if the entire DB (whitespace + used space) needs to be defragged or just the used DB space when eseutil runs?

Monday, June 23, 2014 7:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• It should be really faster if it has that much white space... however considering its Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition, why can't you crate a new DB and move the mailboxes across the DBs and delete the old DB....

Blog | Get Your Exchange Powershell Tip of the Day from here

• Proposed as answer by Mavis_Huang Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dan_754 Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:09 PM
    Monday, June 23, 2014 8:09 PM
  • Only the used space is compacted. The white space within the database isn't moved to the new file.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:39 PM
  • You will have a new file of around 17GB. It shouldn't take too long.

TheUCGuy.Net

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:17 PM
  • I was able to run eseutil /ms and it came back with 37.4GB of data to defrag.  However, it was actually much less and the defrag completed in under a minute.  Thanks for the replies.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:09 PM