none
Undoing folder redirection, Event ID 502 errors

Question

• I'm trying to undo or reverse folder redirection on Windows 7 machines, but it's erroring out when trying to move stuff back to the local machine but i'm getting the following error

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection

Date:          3/16/2017 4:42:28 PM

Event ID:      502

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:     

Description:

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Documents" to "C:\Users\name\Documents".

Redirection options=0x9221.

The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "C:\Users\name\Documents"".

Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

The policy itself is set as follows

Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location)
    Path: Redirect to local user profile path
    Options
    Grant user exclusive rights to Documents     Disabled
    Move the contents of Documents to the new location     Enabled
    Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems     Enabled
    Policy Removal Behavior     Restore contents

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>> Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object

Do one of the following:
    1. Enable both "Grant the user exclusive rights to Documents" and "Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 200 Server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems". When both are enabled then the Synchronization Partnership is successfully created and documents are synchronized between the local profile and the home directory.

-- OR --
    2. Disable both "Grant the user exclusive rights to Documents" and "Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 200 Server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems". When both are disabled then the Synchronization Partnership is successfully created and documents are synchronized between the local profile and the home directory.

See KB below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2493506/redirecting-the-user-s-documents-folder-to-their-home-directory-fails-when-grant-the-user-exclusive-rights-to-documents-is-selected

Besides, the following link also helps:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/4722cb40-f254-4b13-b8eb-2c6cc99e4f5a/folder-redirection-this-security-id-may-not-be-assigned-as-the-owner-of-this-object?forum=winserverGP

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:20 AM
  • >  The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "C:\Users\name\Documents"".
    >  Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

Does C:\Users\name exist? And which ACL exactly is set on it? (icacls output)

> Grant user exclusive rights to Documents     Disabled

Leave this disabled.

Friday, March 17, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Andy, i'll see what i can try with your post today

Martin, I had found a folder under c:\users\name which had SYSTEM set as the owner rather than the user, so i changed that to the user, so now when they log on, we get a slightly diffferent error

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection
    Date:          3/17/2017 6:37:33 AM
    Event ID:      502
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      

Description:
    Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Documents" to "C:\Users\name\Documents".
     Redirection options=0x9221.
     The following error occurred: "Failed to copy files from "\\servername\users$\name" to "C:\Users\name\Documents"".
     Error details: "This file is currently not available for use on this computer.
    ".

I tried forcing the owner to the user on this folder on the server, doing the formatdatabase reg key for offline files, to no avail.

how should i run icacls?

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:42 AM
  • >  The following error occurred: "Failed to copy files from "\\servername\users$\name" to "C:\Users\name\Documents"".
    >  Error details: "This file is currently not available for use on this computer.

Seems Windows judges the server as offline... Why? Don't know...

> how should i run icacls?

Unneccesary, since you found the SYSTEM owner issue.

Friday, March 17, 2017 1:14 PM
  • yeah, that is the weird part, if i copy/paste both paths from the error message into the Run menu, i can access them both fine and neither give an indication they are in "work offline" mode or any files are offline.  I'm going to try setting the option for older OSes to Disabled to match the ownership one as Andy suggested, in hopes that is the answer. 
    Friday, March 17, 2017 1:17 PM
  • even more weird, it does appear to have copied the files (at least at some point) into the c:\users\name\documents folder, but it's still saying it failed, and if you right click Documents it still points to the network path.
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:45 PM
  • setting both to Disabled as Andy suggested didn't change anything, still says

The following error occurred: "Failed to copy files from "\\servername\users$\name" to "C:\Users\name\Documents"".
     Error details: "This file is currently not available for use on this computer.
    ".

I even did the reg hack to increase folder redirection logging but it doesn't provide anything extra useful in the actual Folder Redirection Operational log, it almost acts as if it is working

• Edited by RJO22 Friday, March 17, 2017 7:11 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 7:05 PM