IDs of type Security Group and Distribution Group appearance in sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    We are facing following problem related to security group and distribution group.

I create a group ID in Active Directory, which can be a security group or distribution group. When I do import profile in sharepoint, only the group IDs that are of type security group appear in sharepoint, distribution group type IDs doesn't get imported from AD. Why is that so?

This is creating a problem. I have to add the users individually under site permissions as the group ID doesn't get listed. So when a new user joins the team he will be included as one of the member in the group ID. Once he is added in the active directory, i should also add that user in my sharepoint site which is an overhead.

So if the ID gets imported in the sharepoint the overhead of adding individual users can be avoided.

Can anyone provide some soultion. I had read somewhere that the IDs that are of type Security Group, only they get imported in sharepoint Distribution Group IDs doesn't get imported. Why is that so? What should I do if I want to include the ID of type Distribution group in sharepoint site.

Thanks, Ranjana

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:59 AM Avoids use of word urgent but only just and still pushy
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, do you mean that you want to get the distribution group type IDs appeared in the SharePoint site? If yes, the SharePoint site cannot show the distribution group type IDs because the distribution group is used to the communication level.

You should try this: add the distribution group type IDs to the security group in Active Directory.

Or you may try to set a Deny Access Right for the distribution lists in Active Directory, please follow the steps in the below references:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1673209/hiding-distribution-lists-from-sharepoint-membership-list.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Monday, February 28, 2011 3:14 AM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Hi Ranjana,

Distribution groups are used for email distribution and also are not security-enabled.Please check the below link to know more about the difference between them.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288957.aspx

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    Friday, February 25, 2011 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, do you mean that you want to get the distribution group type IDs appeared in the SharePoint site? If yes, the SharePoint site cannot show the distribution group type IDs because the distribution group is used to the communication level.

You should try this: add the distribution group type IDs to the security group in Active Directory.

Or you may try to set a Deny Access Right for the distribution lists in Active Directory, please follow the steps in the below references:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1673209/hiding-distribution-lists-from-sharepoint-membership-list.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

Friday, February 25, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the information.

Sorry will you please elaborate on this statement  "distribution group is used to the communication level" what does this mean? Want to understand in detail.

I dont want to set Deny Access Right for the distribution list instead I want distribution type IDs also to appear in sharepoint when I want to assign permission or send alert.

Do you think adding distribution group type IDs to the security group in Active Directory is the only solution???

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Ranjana
    Friday, February 25, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Hi Ranjana,

Distribution groups are used for email distribution and also are not security-enabled.Please check the below link to know more about the difference between them.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288957.aspx

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    Friday, February 25, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the information. It helped me.
    Thanks, Ranjana
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:36 AM