You must update the database so that it is compatible with the associated App-V server. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just building a Development environment for an App-V 5 Management Server and I have encountered the following error when connecting to the SQL SB (DB has been pre-created):

"You must update the database so that it is compatible with the associated App-V server. Functionality will be limited until this is completed. Do you want to proceed with the installation?"

The user performing the App-V Management Server installation is an SQL Admin on the DB Server (SQL 2012).

I found the Kirx blog article on how to manually run the SQL scripts to create the DB and permissions (http://kirxblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/remote-database-preparation-for-app-v-5/) however, I am trying to get this documented and would prefer to get the Server setup executable to do the DB preparation.

Does anyone know what is required in order to complete this step without manually running the DB scripts?

Thanks

Paul

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:04 PM

Answers

• OK, so I figured it out... I should had RTFM!

I don't understand why MS require you to run the App-V Server installer on the SQL server to create the correct DB configuration for App-V. I see this as very peculiar seeing as in normal working practices this will not be easy with different teams administering different platforms. Admittedly, you can run the SQL scripts as per Kirx's article above, but not sure why the installer running on the AppV MGMT server can't build the DB, if run under the correct credentials.

So, to summise - Run the AppV Server installer on the SQL Server to create the required DB's.

Paul

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:40 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:28 AM

All replies

• I may be incorrect, something may have changed. But it was my belief that SQL 2012 was not supported for use with App-V 5.0 yet.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713426.aspx

I did use it for my own lab environment. It worked without issue, I did have to change the context in which the services were running. I changed them to run with Local System through the SQL Configruation Tool. But just did it manually since it was just a Lab environment.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Thanks Rorymon.

I just checked the link you provided and it says SQL 2012 is supported under the section headed:

"SQL Server database requirements"

I'll look into the services context - thanks for the pointer.. Although one would wonder which account they should run under in a fully deployed infrastructure (which is what I'm trying to imitate in Dev).

Paul

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:30 PM
  • I have just tried it with SQL Server 2008 R2 and received the same error.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Hello,

Which database edition are you using? (standard..web...enterprise?)

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:13 AM
  • OK, so I figured it out... I should had RTFM!

I don't understand why MS require you to run the App-V Server installer on the SQL server to create the correct DB configuration for App-V. I see this as very peculiar seeing as in normal working practices this will not be easy with different teams administering different platforms. Admittedly, you can run the SQL scripts as per Kirx's article above, but not sure why the installer running on the AppV MGMT server can't build the DB, if run under the correct credentials.

So, to summise - Run the AppV Server installer on the SQL Server to create the required DB's.

Paul

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:40 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:28 AM
  • If the permissions are not set correctly, then you will get this warning message.

RAISERROR('Granting access on SchemaChanges table to Public role', 0, 1) WITH NOWAIT
    GO

/* Grants access on SchemaChanges table to Public role */
    GRANT SELECT ON dbo.SchemaChanges TO PUBLIC
    GO

RAISERROR('Setting up server login and db login for read-access to SchemaChanges table', 0, 1) WITH NOWAIT
    GO

Monday, June 9, 2014 8:35 PM