none
calendar view project task info query RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have several small subprojects in a static master with similar Work break down structure. In the calendar view is it possible to see which project has that task  in a given week. For instance I have same name activities in almost every project is there a way I can identify in the calendar view which task belongs which project?

sdkushte

Monday, August 27, 2012 8:52 PM

All replies

• Sid,

Is this the same master file I worked on or is this a different file (i.e. I don't recognize the task descriptions in the screenshot above)? It looks like a more detailed file.

At any rate, in a normal default dynamic master the Project field identifies which subproject the tasks belong to. However in a static master that information is lost because all the subproject files are directly incorporated into the master.

If your summary lines identify the project, you would need to get that information into an extra text field for each of the subtasks under that summary. Then you could add that text field to the calendar bar styles. I see in your original file you have already done that with Text1 being the job name. If you also do the same in this file then it's simply a matter of adding Text1 to the calendar bar styles.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:45 AM
  • John,

Thanks for the reply,

This is a different file but similar to the one that you saw.

How do you add the text 1 field to a calendar view???

sdkushte

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:52 AM
  • Sid,

I agree with Johns reply. Assuming that you have a Text1 field with Job name or Project name, here are the steps to add Text1 to Caledar view:

1. Goto Calendar View.

2. Click on Format Tab. click on Bar styles button.

3. In Bar styles dialog box, select  "All" from Task type list.

4.Select the Fields drop down menu at the bottom and from the displayed list select Name, Scheduled duration and Text1 checkbox. click in the Calendar view so the list disappears.

4. Now click on Ok in Bar styles dialog box .

(Note: By selecting All, all the types of tasks like critical,non-critical,milestones,Summary etc will have Text1 field. If you want to explicitly remove/change Text1/Name/Scheduled duration from a task say Milestone ,select the Field Milestone from the task type list in Bar styles dialog box and and from Fields drop down menu check/uncheck the desired field checkbox.)

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Roopkumar,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. It does work. However it just works partially for me. When I insert the text 1 column it now shows just the text. I want it to show the task as well as as the text ( job name) so i can look in the calendar and analyze what task it is and which project it is from.Is there a way to do that?

sdkushte

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:46 PM
  • ok nevermind i got it. we can do it by putting a comma in between, bummer.

sdkushte

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:56 PM
  • another problem that i am having is of overflowing tasks there are way many tasks going on for me in a month.

is there a way i can have all tasks in a calendar format and not a list of the overflow tasks?

sdkushte

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Sid,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "overflow tasks". Do you mean tasks that are carryover from the previous month or what?

Unfortunately one of the disadvantages of the Calendar view is the limited space trying to shoehorn too many tasks into a too small a box that represents a day, week or month. You could try filtering the task set and then show the Calendar view of that filtered set, but in my mind it's easier and less trouble to filter the Gantt Chart view using the Date Range filter.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:04 PM
  • yes john, I guess this is one of the limitations in printing off in a calendar view. I have a crazy amount off tasks going on in a week and the paper space in the calendar view just does not allow to print those many tasks on one week page without overflowing in a list format.

sdkushte

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Sid,

I don't suppose a large format printer is available (e.g. plotter). That's probably what you will need if you positively have to have a hard copy.

Another option would be to export the data to another app (e.g. Excel) where graphical formatting is much more flexible.

John

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:41 PM