sequencing office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

trying to sequence office 2007 using the following guide:

http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2008/07/30/softgrid-sequencing-office-professional-2007-in-30-easy-steps.aspx

i am able to sequence to a point where office is installed, i then get to the launch applications step, i can launch the application, but when i close the application (say excel), it gets stuck on waiting for excel & child applications to exit. i can stop it but not sure what impact it may have.

any ideas on this?

Thanks

Kass
    Friday, April 17, 2009 8:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When you hit the "Stop" button during Application Launch and then choose to "Terminate", the Sequencer places a tag into the OSD (TERMINATECHILDREN="TRUE") that later on tells the client to close any child processes that belong - in your case - to Excel. Thus the client ensures that no cild processes reamin acitve after the main application has been closed. This is esp. important in Terminal Server Environments, but also if you want to use Active Upgrade often.

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, April 17, 2009 6:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, February 6, 2012 11:13 AM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Corrupt file...
    Repackage...

There is a KB-article on that error, I believe...
    but I would just redo the package with a new version number...

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:50 AM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:28 PM

All replies

• hello,

Normally this is not an issue. if you have alternative text service switched on, this might cause some process beeing left behind and the sequencer might not be able to detect a proper closure. Other things like this may also stay in the background and cause the problem detecting that the program is closed.

/Znack
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

When you hit the "Stop" button during Application Launch and then choose to "Terminate", the Sequencer places a tag into the OSD (TERMINATECHILDREN="TRUE") that later on tells the client to close any child processes that belong - in your case - to Excel. Thus the client ensures that no cild processes reamin acitve after the main application has been closed. This is esp. important in Terminal Server Environments, but also if you want to use Active Upgrade often.

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, April 17, 2009 6:12 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Jeepers, forgot about that.

Never really pay attention what happens during application launch... (its one of those lazy habits I have gotten)

/Znack
    Friday, April 17, 2009 1:34 PM
  • It is always a good idea to have TERMINATECHILDREN="TRUE" for any office sequence as the process "cftmon.exe" is known to stay running even when the main executable is closed.

mayank

GNU Developer by choice ....
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Hello,

I am not sure, but ctfmon.exe - isn't that executed only if Advanced text services is turned on?
    (office 2003 has it defined as alternative ... input (can't remember the name) - and in 2007:an I think this setting replaced it?)
    /Znack
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:52 PM
  • You could also try manually terminating the proces from the task manager which is related with your office application.
    And then add TERMINATECHILDREN="TRUE"
    J.Caleb Kirubakaran
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. i have sequenced the app but having problems importing into Appv console. comes up with error :

"the version lineage specified for package (68456E9E-03C7-4827-9FCA-6CC54A2CD51) is invalid. error code 0000BD39

any pointers?
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Corrupt file...
    Repackage...

There is a KB-article on that error, I believe...
    but I would just redo the package with a new version number...

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:50 AM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply. i will try re sequencing the app.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:38 PM