New PC from Dell - Certificate of Authenticity / Product Key label is NOT installed on the box. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MCSA, MCP, etc... but got out of Network Management World in 2004, so I'm a little "rusty" in the Tech world now.  That being stated...

I just purchased a new PC from a PC manufacturer.  I will call them...Well, Inc.  I found and purchased one with a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Operating System installed.  When I opened the box, I found that the Certificate of Authenticity / Product Key label is NOT on the CPU anywhere.  The COA/Product Key is NOT on the Restore and Recovery CD, either.  Which brings me to two questions:

1. Is it NOT a legal requirement for Dell to install a COA/Product Key on the outside of the box for Windows 7 Professional (or at least on their "Recovery CD"?

2. If I find myself having to reinstall the Operating System (i.e., hard drive failure, motherboard failure, super-bad virus), won't I need the Windows 7 Professional Product Key to reinstall the OS and validate as genuine? 

From experience, getting help from Well, Inc. is like pulling teeth with a pair of tweezers with blinders on.  It will take several thousand e-mails and several months for them to correct what I see as a problem.  Based on that fact, it might be easier to ship the unit back and request another one... one that has a COA/Product Key label attached to the box, or at least on the "Recovery/Restore CD."  Am I missing something here?  Can you elaborate/educate this "rusty" old timer?

Sunday, October 1, 2017 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For DELL issue, I’m afraid your best bet is contacting DELL support for further help, they are the best resource to troubleshoot this issue.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Monday, October 16, 2017 6:13 AM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 2:51 AM