Error "The server could not complete your request" while opening site in SharePoint designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I have created a web application in the central adminstration and i was able to open the site in the SharePoint designer.

But recently, when i tried to open the site from the designer, I am getting the following error "The server could not complete your request. For more specific information click on the details button".

After clicking details, there is no exception in there. However in the eventviewer, I found the following:

WebHost failed to process a request.
     Sender Information: System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment+HostingManager/64923656
     Exception: System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException: The service '/_vti_bin/client.svc' cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation.  The exception message is: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPLayoutsMappedFile.MapLayoutsVirtualPath(String virtualPath)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPVirtualPathProvider.GetCacheKey(String virtualPath)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CmsVirtualPathProvider.GetCacheKey(String virtualPath)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetCacheKeyFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean& keyFromVPP)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetCompiledCustomString(String virtualPath)
       at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.GetCompiledCustomString(String normalizedVirtualPath)
       at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.CreateService(String normalizedVirtualPath)
       at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.ActivateService(String normalizedVirtualPath)
       at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath)
       at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.EnsureServiceAvailableFast(String relativeVirtualPath)
     Process Name: w3wp
     Process ID: 10800

I had recently changed the Password, which was configured for SharePoint 2010. But I have changed the Password in all the locations. I am able to browse the site from the web browser, but opening the page in designer is failing.

How to fix this?

Thank you 

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:51 AM

Answers

• Can you check your IIS to see if multiple binding exists for the same site? Also, do you have Alternate access mappings defined. 

Thanks

V

V
    • Marked as answer by Venkatzeus Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can it be that access is denied by policy.
    No SharePoint Designer access for that Web Application?

Regards

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Hi,

I am able to browse the site from the web browser, as I am using the System Account. So, is it really access is denied.

I was able to open the site from the designer couple of days back, however I am not able to open it now.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Hi,

Can you try to impersonate as another account with SPD? And then try to log on SharePoint with SPD?

Regards

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:18 AM
  • Hi..

How to open the designer as another account and open the site ?

Thank you

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

I am able to browse the site from the web browser, as I am using the System Account. So, is it really access is denied.

I was able to open the site from the designer couple of days back, however I am not able to open it now.

Had the same issue, add yourself to site collection admins
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:07 PM
  • HI,

I have added myself as site collection Admin. That is the reason, I was able to open the site in sharepoint designer earlier.. But I am not able to open site in designer. It just started today. I re-checked in the site collection administrator, and I am the site collection admin in it.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:45 PM
  • One the same server, are you able to log into the site using IE? Have the site open in IE and Open the site in SPD at the same time. 

This might be weird, but it worked for me in the past. 

Thanks

V

V
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

I am able to open the site in IE. However, when I click "Edit library" from the site, it does not open in the designer. i am getting the error.

But the site opens in IE.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Try this fix. 

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=166231

Thanks

V

V
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

When i clicked on the link you provided, I got a Microsoft Update Standalone Package (.msu). [Windows6.1-KB976462-v2-x64] . Could you please let me know what is that used for.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:23 PM
  • It is a hotfix that provides a method to support the token authentication withouth transport security or message encryption in WCF is availble for the .NET framework 3.5. Also, it is only for windows server 2008 R2. 

This was one of the fixes that was suggested for the same error. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010customization/thread/e21c80bb-44dc-4fec-8484-b0bf6ca4c0aa/

Hope this helps. 

Thanks

V

V
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

The hotfix is already installed in my machine.. Still the problem.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Can you check your IIS to see if multiple binding exists for the same site? Also, do you have Alternate access mappings defined. 

Thanks

V

V
    • Marked as answer by Venkatzeus Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:54 PM
  • HI,

I extended the web application and added it as AAM. Then opened the newly created site in SPD. It worked.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:59 PM
  • I just ensured that I was as site collection admin and that didn't help unfortunately A. Keller, I am going to look to see if the issue is with multiple binding of IIS.

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:31 PM
  • I don't know if this helps anyone, but I had this error show up on one of my SP farms.  I talked to a developer and they said there was a configuration error in the web.config for one of the sites that he fixed.  This error appearing, then going away, coincides with his fix.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:28 PM