none
GPO Block adding bookmarks to Edge?

Question

• All favorites are required to be saved in IE so we can redirect and back them up centrally.  

How can we block users from saving favorites in Edge? 

Thursday, February 11, 2016 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To achieve our goal, you could turn off favorites bar by GPO under the path below.

computer configuration\administrative templates\windows componets\internet explorer

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 12, 2016 1:27 AM
  • Hi,

To achieve our goal, you could turn off favorites bar by GPO under the path below.

computer configuration\administrative templates\windows componets\internet explorer

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

The question is about disabling bookmarks in Microsoft Edge.
    Friday, February 12, 2016 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my experience, instead of bookmark of Firefox, Edge is favorites bar.

Best Regards,

Jay

Monday, February 15, 2016 4:02 AM
  • None of those responses answer the question I asked about Microsoft Edge.

I am not asking about Internet Explorer or Firefox.

I don't even understand the wording of the second response.

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:41 PM
  • Hi MyGposts,

There is no bookmark bar in Microsoft Edge. Instead of the function of bookmark in FireFox, there is favorites bar in Microsoft Edge.

Best Regards,

Jay

Monday, February 29, 2016 3:11 AM
  • I feel like there is a language barrier if my question was not understood.

I mean Favorites.  The subject says "bookmarks," but my original question says: "How can we block users from saving favorites in Edge?"  

Since there is no way to centrally back up Edge Favorites via Group Policy Folder Redirection to a network share, we would like to find some way to prevent users from using Edge Favorites so the Favorites are not lost when their PC crashes or is replaced.

We require our users to only save their Favorites in Internet Explorer and not save any Favorites in Microsoft Edge.  How can we restrict users to using Favorites only in Internet Explorer?

Monday, February 29, 2016 3:26 AM
  • Hi MyGposts,

To achieve your goal, you could configure the setting of configure favorites under the path below.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

For detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

Available policies for Microsoft Edge

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt270204.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Jay

Monday, February 29, 2016 5:57 AM
  • None of those settings prevent users from saving Favorites in Microsoft Edge.

The closest setting appears to configure default Favorites in Microsoft Edge, but it doesn't stop users from creating additional Favorites.

We need to restrict the UI for Edge so users cannot create any Favorites in Microsoft Edges

Monday, February 29, 2016 6:10 AM
  • To my knowledge, there is no Group Policy feature exposed by Edge to do this. This is somewhat expected, since Windows Store Apps like Edge, are a modern approach, and Group Policy is a classic/legacy approach.

You might find some (unsupported?) way to fiddle with the filesystem where Edge stores such data.

Or, you could use Group Policy to prefer IE, or disallow Edge? (not an ideal solution :(

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Monday, February 29, 2016 7:49 AM
  • I haven't seen a group policy to "prefer Edge" either.  

If Group Policy is legacy and Edge is "modern," why then is there no "modern" way to lock down Edge instead of it being an unmanaged free for all?

These are not home PCs; they are company assets on a domain that need to be centrally controlled and it is frustrating that the OS is released in this unfinished state. 

We simply do not want our employees to use Edge on our domain workstations at all since Edge cannot be managed, Edge Favorites cannot be centrally redirected for backup, and our web security software such as Site Advisor Enterprise used to block and warn users of questionable or known malicious sites doesn't work with Edge because Edge does not yet support plugins.

We should be able to hide and disable user access to Edge while there are no tools to otherwise manage Edge in any effective way.

Can we use Software Restriction Policies to block users from launching Edge and to keep Edge from reverting to default browser and default PDF reader after each Edge update?

Monday, February 29, 2016 4:21 PM
  • My understanding (which may be wrong), is that Windows Store apps, are not intended to be like classic/legacy applications at all, and so I'm not expecting them to *ever* be as controllable. I'm not waiting for that part to be "finished" - I don't think it's ever going to happen. (just my feeling)

I've read that AppLocker can be used to block WSapps, not sure if SRP can do it, not sure if it can be done for Edge.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Monday, February 29, 2016 7:57 PM
  • There is the Store For Business to manage access to Store apps and you can deprovision/uninstall most Store apps and sideload some apps offline or you can completely block access to the Store and you can block users from logging into Microsoft accounts to download apps from the Store.

However, from looking at the responses I'm seeing here, Microsoft Edge seems to be mostly out of control.  In this state, it doesn't belong on enterprise workstations.

If we can't manage something as basic as the Favorites, we need to be able to just hide it and block it from running.

Monday, February 29, 2016 8:14 PM
  • If you say so, Gspot.
    Monday, February 29, 2016 8:23 PM