none
Network Monitor - can it monitor ISP availability? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Paul,

My ISP has had several prime-time outages recently, and I need a tool that logs internet availability.  Can Network Monitor do this?

Apologies if this seems a dumb question.

Thanks,

Gerry

Monday, September 27, 2010 9:13 AM

All replies

• You should be able to look at a trace and understand why the network is down, but I'm not sure this is the best way to monitor availability.  For instance if the network was just completly down, you'd see TCP retransmits and failures to any requests on the network.  If DNS is down, then you'd see a failed reponses to queries, or no responses at all.  Unfortunately there are a few ways an ISP can appear as "out", so there's no one way to find this type of problem.

What I often do is PING against a reliable website and then record this to a text file, this along with a time stamp can record when your ISP is having problems.  Pinging the DNS server is often possible.

Paul

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:34 PM

• Hi Paul,

Thank you for the speedy response.  As you say, pinging a reliable website and recording this is the way to go.  What I'm after is a tool that will do every few minutes and I wondered whether Network Monitor can do this.

Gerry

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Netmon doesn't send any traffic, it only monitors it. 

However ping has an option to repeatively send a message using /t.  You could alternatively write a batch file to ping an address, sleep for 10 seconds, and then loop back around.  If you redirect the output to a file and time stamp each line using date /t and time /t, you'll have a record of when your ping failed.

Paul

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:44 PM
  • I had a long term problem with ISP outages so I wrote a program that does exactly what you want - The Net Uptime Monitor. You can get it at www.netuptimemonitor.com.

No complicated setup, just install and run it.  It will alert you when the internet connection goes down and writes a plain text log with the start time and length of every outage.

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Nothing against using a well written program to do it, but if you want to do it regularly, and for free, you could use the "schtasks" command, something like:

schtasks /create /sc minute /mo 1 /ru "system" /tn "My1minuteTask" /tr C:\PingPong.bat

With your PingPong.bat being something like

@echo off
    ping -n 1 google.com >> C:\MyPingLog.txt
    date /t >> C:\MyPingLog.txt
    time /t >> C:\MyPingLog.txt

Which should effectively ping Google every minute and of course you can modify it to ping multiple times, multiple hosts, at a different interval, etc, etc... (YMMV)

Of course, and to return to our more specific topic, you could at the same time be running Network Monitor (probably with a filter, unless you really want to capture *all* the traffic) ;)  ... and could even get fancy with running tracert on failures and whatnot.

Andrew

Saturday, December 24, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Check IPSentry at http://www.ipsentry.com

-Rex

Monday, July 30, 2012 2:53 PM