Sound RRS feed

• Question

• I installed windows 7 2 days ago, and even with all the updates that are now installed my sound still does not work properly. It is HDMI, and the sound mixer shows that sound is being produced, but my system sounds doesnt emit any volume. It's coming through my HP monitor, and its played fine with other cpu's. I tried Realtek audio, but that didn't help. Any help would be appreciated, please, thank you.
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 5:34 AM

Answers

• After going through everything, I found out that my motherboard driver had been overwritten by something. I reinstalled the drivers, and now everything works fine. Thanks for all your help.
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Monday, September 5, 2011 5:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:20 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2011 2:56 AM

All replies

• Hi, have you checked "Device Manager" to confirm the necessary drivers are installed and the devices are not in error?
    Did you need to download & install drivers from your hardware vendor?

Don
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Right-click on the speaker icon on the system tray and select Playback devices. Right-click on each device in the list and click on Test for each device. When you hear a sound, right-click on the device again and Set as Default Device.

If none of the devices in the list make a sound, ensure you have appropriate Audio drivers and the Windows Audio (type Services in Start search box, hit enter and find this service in the list) service is Started.

Please revert back here if this does not resolve your issue, we'll assist you further. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | My first TechNet Wiki Article
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 1:54 PM
  • To Don - tesgroup, I checked my device manager and it has to drivers that have identical names (HDMI audio). I have installed the drivers for my motherboard, and gpu, as I have no sound card.

To Server Baba, I tested the one thing that popped up, and it says its plugged it but it still made no sound. I tried looking up services in my start button search box, but didnt find anything about audio. It also didn't have "windows audio" when i searched for that. Is this my problem?

Saturday, September 3, 2011 9:22 PM
  • To Server Baba, I tested the one thing that popped up, and it says its plugged it but it still made no sound. I tried looking up services in my start button search box, but didnt find anything about audio. It also didn't have "windows audio" when i searched for that. Is this my problem?

No, the Windows Audio service does not seem to be the problem - because if it were, you could not even open Playback device window successfully.

I would again suggest you to go to Playback devices and this time, right-click on the empty white space below your listed device and make sure Show Disabled Devices is checked. Some more devices should pop up. Now, right-click Enable each device one at a time and Test again. If a device doesn't work, disable it again. If you hear a sound, right-click on the particular device and Set as Default Device.

Also ensure the sound is not muted either in the system tray or in Realtek Audio application. If this does not solve your problem, it could also indicate bad wiring. Test the set of speakers with other computer and see if the wiring is alright (I'm assuming you have a desktop since you mentioned an HP "monitor").

Please revert back here with the status. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | My first TechNet Wiki Article
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 10:17 PM
  • After going through everything, I found out that my motherboard driver had been overwritten by something. I reinstalled the drivers, and now everything works fine. Thanks for all your help.
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Monday, September 5, 2011 5:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:20 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2011 2:56 AM