none
Password Change Notification Service on 2008 R2 Core RRS feed

• Question

• It looks like the Password Change Notification Service is supported on 2008 R2 (with a GUI) and regular 2008 Core, but not 2008 R2 Core?  We are trying to install it by running msiexec /I Password Change Notification Service_x64.msi but we are getting an error stating that the Pcnscfg.exe is not in the specified location.  Error code is 1309.  Is this a problem with the MSI file extracting the MSI file contents, or is this service not supported to work on 2008 R2 core?  I thought the pcnscfg.exe file was something this installed on the machine.  If I need that first, where do I get it at?  The schema is already updated.

All the domain controllers in the domain are 2008 R2 with SP1 running on Core.

Using the latest MSI version from the website download from 8/24/2012

• Edited by LE2Strat Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:21 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:01 PM

Answers

• Well, I ended up contacting Microsoft.  It's a bad download.  The new Zip file they gave me had a bunch of other files included with it.  Not just the MSI file itself.  They are working to correct the download link.
    • Marked as answer by LE2Strat Friday, September 7, 2012 2:12 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:12 PM

All replies

• Yes, I'm seeing the same thing you probably are.. The latest download (8/24/2012) doesn't mention 2008 R2 Core  (just 2008 Core) Checked the usual blogs, resources etc. and didn't find anything. 

I don' t know if this is just an installer issue, or something with actually using it. If this is for a production situation, I'd invest in a call to PSS and get it from the horse's mouth (so to speak)

And let us know what you find out..

Frank C. Drewes III - Architect - Oxford Computer Group

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Frank.  Glad it's not just us!  However, before I call PSS, I am wondering if there is just something wrong with the latest MSI from 8/24.

Does anybody viewing this thread have a copy of the version before that?  Just trying to confirm it really is a 2008 R2 Core issue, and not just something wrong with this MSI file.  My co-worker has a test domain and has a 2008 R2 server with a GUI on it, and the MSI file presented the same behavior.

Friday, September 7, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Well, I ended up contacting Microsoft.  It's a bad download.  The new Zip file they gave me had a bunch of other files included with it.  Not just the MSI file itself.  They are working to correct the download link.
    • Marked as answer by LE2Strat Friday, September 7, 2012 2:12 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:12 PM