Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I don't
    have any issues and we have a work around that works but I am wondering if there is an easier way?<o:p></o:p>

As of right now we have two domains, one domain is an affiliate of the other domain. domain1 and domain2(affiliate). They are running exchange 2007 and there is no trust relationship set up between the two domains because the affiliate will not allow it. <o:p></o:p>

Right now every user used to get prompted for a username and password for the autodiscover.domain2.com, what we have done to fix this from not prompting every user is edit the local host file on each computer and pointed autodiscover.domain2.com to the domain1's exchange servers internal or external IP address depending on where they are. We are planning on rebuilding the domain because they are moving to an MPLS and we have combining 4 locations together. They will be moving to exchange 2010. My question is, is there something we can put on the server side to not have them be prompted for autodiscover.domain2.com username and password? <o:p></o:p>

The second question which we haven't been able to figured out is the fact that they get prompted for a certificate error every day and we just tell them to hit yes to allow - which they have gotten used to but I am curious if we can do something
    so they don't get prompted for that certificate every day?<o:p></o:p>

The third question is that out of office doesn't work in outlook, they have to use OWA in order to set the OOF. I am just curious with both domains not having a trust relationship between the two is there something we can do so we don't have to edit the local host file, or have them get prompted for certificate error, or use OWA for OOF? <o:p></o:p>

If you need any more information please let me know and I will supply it for you. Tried to be thorough as possible<o:p></o:p>

Craig Becker

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

In order to avoid confusion and keep track of troubleshooting steps, we usually troubleshoot one issue per thread in order to find a resolution efficiently. Concerning your other question, I suggest you create a new post.

For your first problem, from your description, I understand that you rebuild the domain1 and upgrade exchange 2007 to exchange 2010 and if you do something on the server side to not have them be prompted for autodiscover.domain2.com username and password. If I have any misunderstanding, please let me know.

Is there a CAS array? If so, by default, outlook connect to exchange server by the first CAS autodiscover service. If not, you may need edit the local host file on each computer. 

Cara Chen

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 2, 2012 3:32 AM
  • The upgrade to exchange 2010 is in progress but that is not the answer right now. The whole plan has to be accepted by 4 parties and 3 parties are on board. The last one is playing games so its kind of on hold waiting for this one to agree to the terms. We are not rebuilding the domain until everyone is on board.

both domain1 and domain2 are always going to be separate because the upper layer affiliate is not allowing them to have a two way trust. Without having a two way trust how is it possible to get mail.domain1.com and autodisover.domain2.com to trust each other?

When they open outlook they get prompted for a certificate error that says: The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site. Since we do not own domain2 and we can't add that domain into the UCC cert how is it possible to make that go away?

The reason I didn't open a second forum for OOF is because I believe once we get the cert issue resolved it will fix both issues, but I could be wrong?

Thoughts?

CAS array... I believe I may have figured this one out, because the affiliate domain2 sets up and username and password for them, so we will just have them insert that username and password into the autodiscover prompt and that should take care of having to edit the local host file for each computer.

Craig Becker

Friday, November 2, 2012 11:52 AM
  • And no we do not have a CAS array set up, from my basic understanding of a CAS array

Craig Becker

Friday, November 2, 2012 12:11 PM
  • Hello,

When you use outlook2007/2010 connect to exchange 2010, it will use autodiscover to get server details. So first you should check if autodiscover is correct by the tool "test email configuration" and then check the certificate configuration information.

Here are two threads for your reference.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/4badbb83-3d5d-43f3-909c-ad837609d129/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/d2682c20-b99d-4bf9-a2a3-89cb5aa315d4/

Cara Chen

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:26 AM