none
Basic Info and Details web parts show Access Denied using out of the box SharePoint mode permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

My users that are in the Team Members group are seeing an error message when looking at the out of the box ProjectDetails PDP. The Basic Info and Details web parts show "Access Denied" for them instead of the project field contents. More privileged users can see the project field contents in the web parts without error. The message also says to check the ULS logs to see more info but, since this is Project Online, I cannot see those.

We are running Project Online (cloud) 2013 in SharePoint permissions mode. I read somewhere that maybe I need to give them "Open Project" category permission, or "New Project", but SP mode doesn't get that granular as far as I can see.

I have looked at permissions and PDPs currently have unique permissions. However, the users seem to have Contributor rights anyway. I even gave users Full Control of the PDP but it still gives them Access Denied message.

Anyone know what the minimal groups or rights are needed to allow Project information to be seen?

Thanks, Ron.

PS: I posted this question as a reply to something similar on Project Server but wanted to separate it since Project Online might restrict my solution options. Original post here (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bf0a5f3a-f1fa-496b-9b00-cbe20d44201b/pwa-2013-team-member-viewing-project-schedule-access-denied-in-the-middle-of-the-page)

rgliane

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Ron,

In SharePoint Permissions mode your users will need to be in the "Project Managers for Project Web App" SharePoint group to get access to the PDPs.

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:13 PM
    Owner
  • Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that would work as the users already in that group can view the content. But the issue is that the worker bees in the Team Members group also need to read that information to understand the context of the project. Putting them in the Project Manager group would let them edit the content and in general give them too many permissions.

Does this mean that I need to switch to Project Server permissions mode to accomplish my goal?

rgliane

Friday, August 23, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Hi Ron,

Project Server permissions would certainly give you much more flexibility.  I did have a quick try setting different permission levels using SharePoint permissions but couldn't get what you were looking for.  Also as this is less granular than Project Server permissions it may open up other areas that you don't wish to.

Best regards,

Brian 

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:46 PM
    Owner