none
Critical Path PWA View RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can someone explain why the critical path is showing as red on the PWA schedule view in the attached picture?

It's the only project in our portfolio where this is happening.

(By the way, I am only presuming the red tasks are highlighting the critical path)

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Edited by ASQU Monday, August 14, 2017 9:39 AM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 8:52 AM

All replies

• Check the ribbon and look on the FORMAT tab.   Is the "Critical Task" checked.   This turns on the RED and shows the critical path.   Perhaps this schedule has the feature enabled and the others don't.  

Also once a task is 100% complete it will not be on critical path

ALso from the browser, Task Details shows the critical path and if a task is 100% complete it will not show as red.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:24 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

On the Format tab in MSP13 the Critical Tasks box is not checked.

In browser, no other project shows the critical path, hence the query,

• Edited by ASQU Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:53 AM
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:53 AM
  • The gantt chart format used for Task Detail View by default is the "Details Gantt (views", which is set to show the critical tasks in red. If you want to change it, you will need to go to Server Settings >> Gannt Chart Formats

As to why only this project is showing this, there could be several reasons

1) are you applying the Task Detail View to rest of the projects

2) Other project may not have a well defined critical path based on how well the project is set up.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:57 PM
  • Andrew --

The Tasks Detail view in PWA (the view you have applied in the screenshot) does show Critical tasks using red Gantt bars.  So I can confirm the red tasks are Critical tasks.  If you apply the Tasks Summary view instead for this project, the Critical Path is not displayed.  If you want to see the Critical Path, apply the Tasks Detail view.  If not, apply the Tasks Summary view instead.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:16 PM