Server 2016 installs updates from WSUS but doesnt uninstall updates RRS feed

• Question

• Using WSUS installed on a Server 2012 R2 box. I am able to approve for install and approve for install on both server 2008/2012 machines. When using WSUS for server 2016 machines, i can approve for install and the update will successfully install. The WSUS status report shows that the update is installed. When i try to approve for uninstall for server 2016, the update will not uninstall. The strange part is when i check the status report for the server 2016 machine, it will show that the update is not installed. Has anyone run into this? I tested this with kb4503267 and kb4507460.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try adding a deadline when you remove an installed update. If you want an update to be removed as soon as the client computers contact the server, click Custom, and set a date in the past.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:15 AM
  • Should have included that i already set the deadline to a past date. Still get the same behavior. 
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

In my actual test, the Windows Server 2016 server as a domain controller could not complete the uninstallation of the monthly summary update through WSUS removal approval. As a reference, the Windows Server 2019 server that is not a domain controller can implement the removal operation, and the Windows 10 client can also implement the removal operation.

If the "Approve for removal" doesn't work on the clients, I would recommend uninstalling the updates manually on the clients, or use a script (eg PsExec) to remove the updates, and decline the updates on WSUS server and run Server Cleanup Wizard.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:31 AM
  • Interesting. The test VM that i have is just a fresh install of server 2016 with no additional roles/features installed. At this point im out of ideas...
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 2:15 PM