bdc insert, delete and update RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to sharepoint.
    I have created a custom web part to retrieve the information.  it shows the information that I need.  If I want the user has the ablility to update or insert new data.  Do I use bdc? The custom web part (.net code)  is using the sql server on another data server.   Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:32 PM

Answers

• BDC is used for surfacing data from LOB systems to SharePoint, By using BDC combined with BDC webparts allows you to deploy no code solutions, in your case since you have gone custom webpart route there is really no need to use BDC unless you are doing some customized rendering in your webpart but want to leverage BDC so your custom code doesn't need to manage connections, provide Create, Retrieve, Update, Delete functionality etc. The other thing you probably should know is although write backs to LOB systems are supported its not quite straightforward, there are some tools out there that helps with creating BDC app def files, MS ships a free editor with SDK, you can also purchase BDC metaman which has lot more functionality than free tool offers.
    • Proposed as answer by Ram Gopinathan Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by kkmick Monday, June 29, 2009 1:20 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:10 AM

All replies

• BDC is used for surfacing data from LOB systems to SharePoint, By using BDC combined with BDC webparts allows you to deploy no code solutions, in your case since you have gone custom webpart route there is really no need to use BDC unless you are doing some customized rendering in your webpart but want to leverage BDC so your custom code doesn't need to manage connections, provide Create, Retrieve, Update, Delete functionality etc. The other thing you probably should know is although write backs to LOB systems are supported its not quite straightforward, there are some tools out there that helps with creating BDC app def files, MS ships a free editor with SDK, you can also purchase BDC metaman which has lot more functionality than free tool offers.
    • Proposed as answer by Ram Gopinathan Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by kkmick Monday, June 29, 2009 1:20 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:10 AM
  • Hi,

Understanding that you are new to SP. I would like to tell you what exactly BDC looks like in case if you do it through traditional .NET application.
    I think you aware of dataReader's in case of ADO.NET which is pulls up data from underlying datasources and that too in readonly fashion even though its faster then dataset and datatable. so similar is BDC.
    As for pulling information/data from underlying datasources you specify the connection string, sql query or sprc, return value of data, credentials and many more stuffs... so the same thing you need to do when you working with BDC.
    As I compared BDC with the dataReader's hence needless to say that BDC is also READONLY/Foward Only. In case if you are looking for data updation also then you have to write that functionality which has nothing to do with BDC.

Manish Patil http://patilmanishrao.wordpress.com Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Thank you.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Thank you for your insight

Monday, June 29, 2009 1:21 PM