FileDate of database ? RRS feed

• Question

• On an EX2010 SP1, I have several mailboxdatabases in a DAG. I was just wondering why the corresponding .EDB files do not change on "modified date" for several days, even several weeks. Databases are clean and log folders are quite small, so I suppose that databases are up to date. As databases have each 2 copies, I don't perform any additional backup. So is it normal ?
    Anais
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:10 AM

Answers

• That is normal behaviour.
    It isn't an issue with Exchange, but Windows. If you restart the information store service you will see the files get updated. It is down to how Exchange holds the file open while it is running, and therefore Windows doesn't "see" the change until the file is released when the service is stopped. The time stamp will be close to when you last rebooted the server.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Proposed as answer by Mads Hjort Larsen Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by anais06 Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:02 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:08 AM

All replies

• That is normal behaviour.
    It isn't an issue with Exchange, but Windows. If you restart the information store service you will see the files get updated. It is down to how Exchange holds the file open while it is running, and therefore Windows doesn't "see" the change until the file is released when the service is stopped. The time stamp will be close to when you last rebooted the server.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Proposed as answer by Mads Hjort Larsen Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by anais06 Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:02 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:08 AM
  • OK ! Thanks a lot !

Anais
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:02 AM