Creating an Alert doesn't do anything in MOSS 2007. RRS feed

• Question

• Here's an odd situation.  I have two Sharepoint development farms (WSS3 SP2 and MOSS 2007 Enterprise SP2) set up where configuring Alerts works as expected.  I have one production WSS3 SP2 farm where configuring Alerts works as expected.  However, on my production MOSS 2007 Enterprise SP2 system, when I click on the OK button on the NEW ALERT page, the browser progress bar starts but the page just sits there.  It will sit there until I close the page or hit CANCEL.

I searched the Boards for similar issues, but most discuss email not being sent after an alert has been created.  Obviously this is a step beyond what I am experiencing.

This is what I have determined thus far:

1. All Web Applications on the Production MOSS system appear to be affected.
    2. I've verified that Alerts are enabled using the STSADM tool (stsadm.exe -o getproperty -url http://problemsite -pn alerts-enabled)
    3. I've verified that Alerts are enabled in the Web App General Settings.
    4. No errors appear to be added to the Sharepoint Log Files.
    5. No errors or warning are added to the Server Application or System Event logs.
    6. If I look at the View my existing alerts on this site page, I see an entry for it (after hitting CANCEL or closing the browser window), but it doesn't work.
    7. The Shared Service Provider appears to be configured the same as my development SSP.

All systems are running on Windows 2003 x64.  Any ideas?  Could it be the Shared Service Provider?

Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:22 PM

All replies

• I set up a second SSP with its own MySites.  I created a Test Web App and confirmed that creating an alert functions in the same way.  The NEW ALERT page just sits there after hitting hte OK button.  So it's not specific to the SSP settings as far as I can tell.  My next guess will be whatever sub-system the Alert mechanism uses.  Guess I'll be calling MS next week.  Doh!
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 12:37 AM