Sharepoint 3.0 - Export to Spreadsheet - owssrv.dll RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Sharepoint, as i just recently took this over in the wake of our sysadmin's departure.

Attempting to export an database info to spreadsheet, returns ""To export a list, you must have a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible application."If you click yes, it downloads owssrv.dll

Not sure how to proceed as the expected outcome would be an xls document.  the client machine has office ent 2k7.

• Moved by Clayton Cobb Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:03 AM Not a 2010 question (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Monday, December 6, 2010 7:38 PM

All replies

• Monday, December 6, 2010 7:59 PM
  • I guess I am not thinking that far out of the box, initially I was using firefox.  Changed over to IE.

Added site to trusted sites

Now Export to Spreadsheet(via IE) - Download popup for owssvr.iqy - click open - excel opens up -

"Microsoft Office Excel Security Notice:

Path <...>.iqy

Data connections have been blocked. blah blah blah"

Enable or Disable.

Enable - You do not have adequate permissions to modify this list. Changes to your data cannot be saved.  No data is displayed.

My user account is granted full access.

Monday, December 6, 2010 8:18 PM
  • As you are aware (because you have posted to them earlier) there are pre-SP 2010 forums.

These (and only these) are the correct place for WSS 3.0 questions.

Moderator: Please move this thread to SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Admin ... (pre-Sharepoint 2010).

Poster: Please in future continue to post WSS 3.0 and other pre-SP 2010 questions directly to a pre-SP 2010 forum.

(Moderator pre-SP 2010 forums)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:03 AM
  • As Mike mentioned, why did you post this in the 2010 forum?  WSS 3.0 is the free version of 2007.  Also, why is your screen name so ridiculous?  Please change it to a proper username instead of a full sentence.  Thank you.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:03 AM
  • > But next time maybe you should add something credible to the discussion instead of digression.

This is just being nasty as is also the marking of both my post and Clayton's post as being abusive.

My post was merely pointing out to you that you had posted a pre-SP 2010 question in a SP 2010 forum. There is nothing abusive about informing you of such an error.

Clayton's post was that of a Moderator in the SP 2010 forums asking you to change your Display Name to something normal (and away from the Title of your first post). There was nothing abusive in that either.

Both posts were pure Moderation advising someone who has posted in the wrong forum  and with a wrong Display Name that they have made errors in both matters.

If you can't accept that kind of moderation, I suggest you look for somewhere else (not in the forums) to ask your questions.

Mike Walsh (Moderator pre-SP 2010 forums where I have the rights necessary to remove Abusive markings so you are wasting your time if you mark this one as abusive)

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Meh, your questioning was loaded. I cant think of any good answer that you wouldn't have already knew before asking the line of question, from either of you.  Should have just moved it to the right thread instead.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:59 PM
  • I guess to get more on topic, anyone know the specific the area that i set permissions for the export functionality? I logged into the sharepoint and was able to export to spread sheet logged into the sharepoint administrator.

Note: This was done from the sharepoint host (localhost)

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 2:06 PM
  • > Should have just moved it to the right thread instead.

If I had Moderator rights in the SP 2010 forums that is precisely what I would have done. (It is what I do every time I see a SP 2010 post in a pre-SP 2010 forum - which happens about ten times a day at least.)

But I only have Moderator rights in (all) the pre-SP 2010 forums so I was forced to post in an SP 2010 forum as I did (in order to get you in some way in the right forum for the question).

(and Clayton - who does have Moderator rights in the SP 2010 forums - then moved the thread)

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 2:11 PM
  • > Should have just moved it to the right thread instead.

If I had Moderator rights in the SP 2010 forums that is precisely what I would have done. (It is what I do every time I see a SP 2010 post in a pre-SP 2010 forum - which happens about ten times a day at least.)

But I only have Moderator rights in (all) the pre-SP 2010 forums so I was forced to post in an SP 2010 forum as I did (in order to get you in some way in the right forum for the question).

(and Clayton - who does have Moderator rights in the SP 2010 forums - then moved the thread)

Not to burst your bubble but my thread was initially in SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010)

No, it was not.  I Moved it from 2010 General as you can see at the bottom of your first post.  It's ok, because it's good now.

Moved by Clayton Cobb<abbr class="affil">MVP</abbr><abbr class="affil">, Moderator</abbr> 6 hours 9 minutes ago "Not a 2010 question" From SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers

Btw, there are no permissions for exporting to spreadsheet.  I would have helped more, but I have never seen what you're describing.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Stanfford Liu Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jeremy Cejka Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:18 PM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Not sure how your comment comes anywhere close to a solution to my problem.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:20 PM