none
Remote Computer Management Without Shared Admin Account? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to remotely access computer management of a computer that has a different user name and password than the administrator accounts on my local machine.

When I looked this up, I found this suggestion:

"C:> net use \\computername /user:computername\localadmin The password or user name is invalid for \\computername.
    Enter the password for 'computername\localadmin' to connect to 'computername':
    The command completed successfully.

Now you can launch compmgmt.msc to manage the remote PC."

However it doesn't work.  The net use command completes successfully, but when I run compmgmt.msc it still opens it up locally connected and if I try to connect to the remote computer through the mmc, I don't have any rights to view anything just as if I never ran the net use command.

How do you use the remote computer management mmc when the administrator accounts are not the same on the local machine and the remote machine?

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 12:59 AM

Answers

• What about running this command line ? 

runas /user:<COMPUTER\username> Compmgmt.msc –a /computer=COMPUTER

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:46 AM