SharePoint 2007 site owner access denied RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are experiencing a very strange situation with one of our sites in our MOSS 2007 farm. We are receiving complaints that site owners are unable to access http://webapp/site/subsiteAll affected individuals are in Groups that have Full control Access. 

I recreated the problem and added myself to the affected site as a site owner and indeed the site displays access denied at least 2-3 times when I am logged to the site.

If any of you experienced this and can shade some light I will be very grateful

Thanks

Julio

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:14 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:16 PM

Answers

• All,  

We might have narrowed down the potential cause of User Access Denied issue to the SharePoint sub-site. We’ve noticed that the site is a regular team site that had the Publishing Features turned on. We remember when Microsoft  told us that we shouldn’t turn the publishing feature on regular team sites because it can create some unknown issues (who knows how this got turned on).  

We deactivated the Publishing Feature from this team site and so far it seems to do the trick.

I have been working with ours customers and they reported that they haven’t had any access denied error after the Publishing Feature was deactivated.

I will let you all know if this resolves this issue.

We also found that those users had no viewer/read access to the very top level site collection. The users weren't able to add web parts to their site because of permissions issue. Once I added them to the top level "viewers" group, they were able to add web parts.

My assumption with this is that, you should provide authenticated uses access to the viewers group within the top level site collection. This is best practice to propagate rights to their site.

• Edited by Jsanz Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:32 PM update information
    • Marked as answer by Jsanz Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Julio,

Strange issue...wondering whether you tried permissioning a user directly with full control (instead of adding to the Site Onwers group) on that subsite - can you reproduce the issue this way?

Trying to see if there is an issue with the group itself - if direct permissions work - you can simply create another group with full permission and add your users to this new group.

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Hi Julio,

It is possible that inadvarently the permissions of the site may have been alterted to "Inherit permissions from parent site" especially if the site owners are not member of the parent site!

hth,

Chirag Patel, MCTS
    Blog: techChirag.com
    Twitter: @techChirag
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Hi Jsanz,

As you could have tried all the possible solutions, one more thing I want to mention here, where the same issue occured in one of our client's site.

Reason found to be was,

• There was a hitcount webpart in the homepage of the site which by default adds a content to a list on page load.
    • This work fine at normal conditions.
    • But in case if the scheduled backup is running(during when the site will be locked for editing), then the webpart will try adding content to the list which obviously fails resulting in access denied error.

This occurs even got the site collection admins.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:13 AM
  • All,  

We might have narrowed down the potential cause of User Access Denied issue to the SharePoint sub-site. We’ve noticed that the site is a regular team site that had the Publishing Features turned on. We remember when Microsoft  told us that we shouldn’t turn the publishing feature on regular team sites because it can create some unknown issues (who knows how this got turned on).  

We deactivated the Publishing Feature from this team site and so far it seems to do the trick.

I have been working with ours customers and they reported that they haven’t had any access denied error after the Publishing Feature was deactivated.

I will let you all know if this resolves this issue.

We also found that those users had no viewer/read access to the very top level site collection. The users weren't able to add web parts to their site because of permissions issue. Once I added them to the top level "viewers" group, they were able to add web parts.

My assumption with this is that, you should provide authenticated uses access to the viewers group within the top level site collection. This is best practice to propagate rights to their site.

• Edited by Jsanz Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:32 PM update information
    • Marked as answer by Jsanz Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:24 PM