none
co-locate data in dpm storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• I dont know why I struggle getting my head around storage pools it all seems straight forward.

We have a single  file server with five shares of 300GB each.

The DPM server has 2.7TB disk assigned as my only storage pool.
    I "protected" one of the shares by creating a 1.5TB replica and 500GB recovery point. The idea being that in the future I could use the 700GB to expand either the replica or recovery point capacity.

Anyway, I came to add a second share expecting to make it part of the same replica disk and recovery disk, but the option to " co-locate data in dpm storage pool" was greyed out.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If the share to be added is on the same volume, then DPM will use the existing replica and recovery point volumes for those recovery points.  If the share is on a different volume, then DPM needs to make another replica and recovery point volume for that share.

Disk co-location option is only valid for Hyper-V Guest, SQL Databases, and Client protection.  All other workloads need separate volumes for each data source protected.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Joe Darkman Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:56 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:13 PM