Errors Updating OAB on Exchange 2007 - Need Help RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single standalone Exchange 2007 server with SP3 Rollup 10.

Issue I am having is the OAB is no longer updating and several events are being logged on Exchange with regard to OAB updating. The events are logged as follows in this order:

Event ID 9390 Warning

OALGen failed to find the OAB version 4 manifest file '\\mailserver\ExchangeOAB\82523189-f89b-429e-9a0e-241350475da6\oab.xml'. This is normal if it is the first time this offline address list has been published to the file system.  Check other logged events to see if this is a serious error. 

Event ID 9328 Error

OALGen encountered file error 80070005 (internal ID 5050221) while generating the offline address list for address list '\Global Address List'.  Make sure there is enough disk space available. 
    - Default Offline Address Book 

Event ID 9373 Error

OALGen detected that the file '\\mailserver\ExchangeOAB\82523189-f89b-429e-9a0e-241350475da6\94d3e03a-660d-412d-b204-446f2190ee3c-data-415.lzx' is corrupted or missing. This indicates data tampering or disk problems. Restore files in this folder from the recent backup or clean up folder content and force a full OAB generation. 

Event ID 9328 Error

OALGen encountered file error ffffffff (internal ID 505026d) while generating the offline address list for address list '\Global Address List'.  Make sure there is enough disk space available. 

and Event ID 9371 Error

OALGen encountered an error while generating the differential downloads of address list '\Global Address List'.  The offline address list has not been updated so clients will not be able to download the current set of changes.  Check other logged events to find the cause of this error. 

I have found this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931744/en-us that seems to be pretty much the same issue I am having. I have followed the steps in this KB and the OAB still will not update and gives the same errors.

THis is all that I have done so far with no success:

1. Verified that security and sharing permissions are correct on ExcServer\ExchangeOAB

2. Deleted all contents of ExcServer\ExchangeOAB\<OAB GUID> and then tried a new update.

3. Removed the Default Offline Address Book from Exchange and then create a new OAB, adding GAL to it.  Then try to update again.  

All of these steps have not fixed the issue.  When I try to update the OAB either via Exchange Shell or the GUI console the same errors are logged in the Event Viewer.

When I did step 3, a new <OAB Guid> folder is created in ExcServer\ExchangeOAB, but no files are created in it.

What can I do to fix this? 

Please assist, I need to fix this quickly.

thanks

• Edited by mac1234 Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:09 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:54 PM

Answers

• Issue is fixed:

Removed the entries for 'mailserver' and 'mailserver.domain' from the HOSTS file and then disabled IPv6 by unchecking the IPv6 box on the  current NIC (Local Area Connection) and making the appropriate registry change (0xffffffff).  Steps can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852/en-us

Also worth mentioning is that supposedly this exact issue I was having was supposedly fixed in SP1 Update Rollup 4.  I am at SP3 Update rollup 10.  Apparently SP1 rollup 4 did not fix the issue in my case.

• Marked as answer by mac1234 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:10 PM

All replies

• Are all roles installed on the same machine? Do you have a separate CAS server?

There's no problem with the actual generation of the OAB? If you have an old Outlook client (like OL2003) that uses public folder distribution does it see the OAB?

Verify that the "Microsoft Exchange File Distribution" service is running (or restart it) on the machine that's the OAB distribution server.

If you're going to post only the event-id numbers you won't get may responses. The "good stuff" is in the details section. Use the "Copy" button (and trim the XML stuff) to get usable data and post that.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I have added the Event ID general info to my post.  The details of each event are below.

Also, I am running this server on VMware.  So, I have a copy of the Exchange server running in a test environment, so I can try pretty much anything to try to get this going.

*Are all roles installed on the same machine? Do you have a separate CAS server?

Yes all roles are on the same machine, no separate CAS.

*There's no problem with the actual generation of the OAB? If you have an old Outlook client (like OL2003) that uses public folder distribution does it see the OAB?

The generation fails as far as I can tell. 

No files are created at all under the "install location"\ExcServer\ExchangeOAB\<OAB GUID>" folder when I update to try to rebuild.  All that happens is the <OAB GUID> folder is created, but again, no files are written to this folder. 

*Verify that the "Microsoft Exchange File Distribution" service is running (or restart it) on the machine that's the OAB distribution server.

It is running.  I have restarted the service several times.  I have restarted the server many times.

Event ID Details

<Event
    xmlns
    ="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="MSExchangeSA"
    />
      <EventID
    Qualifiers
    ="32768">9390</EventID>
      <Level>3</Level>
      <Task>13</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-09-19T11:08:02.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>846701</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>mailserver.domain</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>\\mailserver.domain\ExchangeOAB\82523189-f89b-429e-9a0e-241350475da6\oab.xml</Data>
      </EventData>

</Event>

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    />
      <EventID
    Qualifiers
    ="49152">9328</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>13</Task>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-09-19T11:08:07.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>846702</EventRecordID>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>80070005</Data>
      <Data>5050221</Data>
      <Data>\Global Address List</Data>
      <Data>Default Offline Address Book</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

- <System>
    />
      <EventID
    Qualifiers
    ="49152">9373</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>13</Task>
      <EventRecordID>846703</EventRecordID>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>\\mailserver.domain\ExchangeOAB\82523189-f89b-429e-9a0e-241350475da6\94d3e03a-660d-412d-b204-446f2190ee3c-data-415.lzx</Data>
      </EventData>

</Event>

- <System>
    />
      <EventID
    Qualifiers
    ="49152">9328</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>13</Task>
      <EventRecordID>846704</EventRecordID>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>ffffffff</Data>
      <Data>505026d</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

- <System>
    />
      <EventID
    Qualifiers
    ="49152">9371</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>13</Task>
      <EventRecordID>846705</EventRecordID>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

• Edited by mac1234 Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:29 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

For further troubleshooting, please follow the steps below:

1.       Find the primary domain controller in root domain
    2.       Run Nslookup to resolve FQDN and NETBIOS of DC in step 1.
    3.       Try to ping the NETBIOS of DC in step 1. See if it can be reached.
    4.       Run regedit on CAS server and go to Registry, navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeSA\Parameters\{Clustered-Mailbox-Server name}\OabDropFolderLocation'
    Check if it’s pointing to the Shared drive.

Regards,
    Rebecca
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:57 AM
  • Looked over the links provided.  Good info. 

I have found the issue, however I am not quite sure of the cause.  Here is the long version:

So I tried to access the actual ExchangeOAB share from the Exchange server itself (again this is a standalone server so CAS is on the same server).'

When attempting to access \\mailserver\  the shares on the Exchange server are brought up which is "Address" and of course "ExchangeOAB".  However, when I try to access the actual shares, I am asked for credentials; and any credentials I enter are not accepted. 

However, if I access the shares via IP address they work ( example \\192.168.1.10\ExchangeOAB).

I can also access the shares via hostname (\\mailserver\ExchangeOAB) from other machines in the domain.  Just when trying to access the shares from the exchange server itself does the issue happen.

So, something is happening with name resolution.  But, when I ping "mailserver" the correct IP address is returned.  DNS is working properly, I have verified; pinging mailserver from other machines is succesfull, nslookup both forward and reverse is good.  However, the fact that some sort of name resolution issue is going clicked with me of some changes I made to the HOSTS file several months back.

You see, several months back I added into the HOSTS file an entry for "mailserver" and "mailserver.domain" mapping to the mailserver IP.  This was done to resolve a very specific error I was receiving with regards to Outlook Anywhere.  Outlook Anywhere was not connecting and testing via testexchangeconnectivity.com gave this error:

NSPI Proxy Interface "The
    RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE error (0x6ba) was thrown by the RPC Runtime
    process."

Which led me to this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/db543644-c252-47ee-a70b-4f60770083dc.aspx

...part of which speaks of issues with IPv6 causing the error.

This is when I added the 'mailserver' and 'mailserver.domain' entries to the HOSTS file on the Exchange server, which fixed the issue with Outlook Anywhere.  Everything worked perfectly until I rebooted the Exchange server last week to install updates, the server has not been rebooted after making the HOSTS file change several months ago.  After a reboot is when the OAB issue started happening and when I can no longer access any shares on Exchange from Exchange via hostname.

So in testing if I remove the entries for mailserver and mailserver.domain from the hosts file and then reboot the server, OAB starts working again; any shares on the server are now accessible via hostname.

If I add the entries back to the HOSTS file, OAB continues to work/shares continue to work UNTIL I reboot the server, then OAB/shares break again.

Can someone give me some insight into this issue?  I would just assume remove the entries, but do to the fact that the entries are fixing the Outlook Anywhere issue I cant simply do this.  My suspicion is that this is related to IPv6 and I'm thinking I need to either disable or tweak IPv6 so that the exchange server strictly uses IPv4. 

I know there are many threads out there that make reference to issues with Exchange 2007 on 2008 server with IPv6, but it seems that disabling Ipv6 may break other things.

Any suggestions?

• Edited by mac1234 Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:22 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:18 AM
  • Issue is fixed:

Removed the entries for 'mailserver' and 'mailserver.domain' from the HOSTS file and then disabled IPv6 by unchecking the IPv6 box on the  current NIC (Local Area Connection) and making the appropriate registry change (0xffffffff).  Steps can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852/en-us

Also worth mentioning is that supposedly this exact issue I was having was supposedly fixed in SP1 Update Rollup 4.  I am at SP3 Update rollup 10.  Apparently SP1 rollup 4 did not fix the issue in my case.

• Marked as answer by mac1234 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:10 PM