Updating client via SMS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was looking at evaluating FCS for our environment but we only use SMS 2003 not WSUS.

Looking through the posts here I understand there was going to be  "an alternate release point, where you could download and distribute the updates via another method (SMS, etc)" and this was going to be in place before RTM.

Could anyone provide any update on this?

Thanks

Steve

Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:12 PM

Answers

• Hello!

Yes, there the "alternate download location" will still be made available - this is targeted for availability in the next few months.  It will be a manual process for an admin to download the signatures and package them up for SMS (or other 3rd party software distribution system).  WSUS is definitely the optimized system and should be considered for signature deployment (If you already use SMS/etc for patch distribution, using WSUS for signature distribution doesn't mean you need to drop your SMS investment at all)

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Friday, May 4, 2007 7:05 PM

All replies

• Arguably, there is really no reason you can't use SMS. It will be consistently additional work, however, to keep definitions up to date, etc, unless you choose to let your clients attach directly to update.microsoft.com. And SMS install would be essentially the same as a manual install. Ensure you use the .reg file install model outlined in the documentation.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Hello!

Yes, there the "alternate download location" will still be made available - this is targeted for availability in the next few months.  It will be a manual process for an admin to download the signatures and package them up for SMS (or other 3rd party software distribution system).  WSUS is definitely the optimized system and should be considered for signature deployment (If you already use SMS/etc for patch distribution, using WSUS for signature distribution doesn't mean you need to drop your SMS investment at all)

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Friday, May 4, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Thanks Chris and bkg for taking the time to reply to my post. I look forward to seeing the "alternate download location" at some point, but I will suggest to the team we look at WSUS to provide the signatures.

regards,

Steve

Friday, May 4, 2007 7:58 PM